Community discussions

MikroTik App

sbeauchamp
Topic Author

Need a recommendation

Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:56 pm

I am looking for a solution to meet a set of requirements, or close to it. I intend to have a hub router (something virtual), that customer spoke routers can connect to via IP tunnel and IPSEC encryption. At the moment im thinking i need to support 1gb of bandwidth total and allow varrying sizes of residential and business class cable/dsl connections to achieve close to their alloted bandwidth. I could have users with 300mbps cable connection, so I would want to get them as close to that 300mbps they can get nativley over the hub/spoke solution.

My current hub ive tested is CHR on an esxi host using 8 cpus and 2gb memory. My test spoke is a CCR1009-8G with a 300mbps cable connection. using IPIP and IPSEC (with the simplest encryption settings) I seem to only manage 150mbps or so. With just IPIP and no encryption i can get 200mbps or a little more.

So here I am asking what sort of virtual set up would i need to be able to handle 1gb of total bandwidth (aggregate from multiple spokes) using IPIP+IPSEC? What would I need to achieve a 300mbps throughput using a multithread TCP session?

razavim
Trainer
Trainer

Re: Need a recommendation

Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:10 pm

I believe having IPIP+ipsec is not a very wise choice. if your clients need to establish site to site tunnel protocol and at the same time you need encryption i wiuld definitly recomment using IPSEC only. therefore IPIP is very overhead intensivr as it will encapsulates the ip packet in a whole new packet so it is using much more overhead than if you use IPSEC alone.

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk

sbeauchamp
Topic Author

Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:48 pm

I believe having IPIP+ipsec is not a very wise choice. if your clients need to establish site to site tunnel protocol and at the same time you need encryption i wiuld definitly recomment using IPSEC only. therefore IPIP is very overhead intensivr as it will encapsulates the ip packet in a whole new packet so it is using much more overhead than if you use IPSEC alone.

I was wanting to use a routing protocol, which is why I had a tunnel. I may think of another way if no one things IPIP+IPSEC is doable at somewhat high speeds.

sbeauchamp
Topic Author

Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:22 am

tried just plain ipsec tonight. its actually worse than just IPIP (no ipsec). Beginning to thing the CCR just can't handle encryption very well.

razavim
Trainer
Trainer

Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:27 am

Dear Friend, I am sure it is not well configured as CCR are much more effective. Would you send me your export config in orther to troubleshoot your your scenario?

sbeauchamp
Topic Author

Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:05 pm

the configs are pretty bare, hopefully i didn't miss anything.

spoke-ipsec-only.txt
hub-ipsec-only.txt
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.