Community discussions

MikroTik App

lapsio
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

RouterOS demo/limited free VM

Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:54 pm

Hi I remember some time ago I came across some info about educational limited ROS image or something like that - basically iirc it was possible to download VM image with router that had capped bandwidth at 1MB/s or something like that. Is that still available? And can I use it for software development?

I mean I'm writing software that is supposed to work with ROS logs (collect & analyze etc.). Final environment is using physical RB951s and physcal log collector server but for testing purposes it'd be much easier to just throw ROS VM and server VM and test if software works at all before putting it in actual physical lab / production. I don't have spare x86 ROS license or CHR license whatever idk what is even necessary for VM so I'd probably prefer to just use this edu image as it's just test env anyways.

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: RouterOS demo/limited free VM

Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:32 pm

Chr is for free normally with 1mbit per interface tx limit. You can get also unlimited license for free that denies updates after 60 days but otherwise works normally forever.

lapsio
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:39 pm

Oh it's just as simple as downloading and running image. Okay, ur the best xD.

Also considering it's already CHR related thread...
  • You could post some info about hypervisor settings (eg. you provide .vdi image so what settings should I use for VBox? I assumed Other Linux 2.6/3.x/4.x (32bit) but Other Linux (32bit) sounds fine as well and...
  • Info that "Only x86_64 is supported" flashes for like split of second and it took me billion of reboots to notice what does it say. Plus once I did manage to pause VM once I resumed it VBox completely freezed up to point I had to kill -9 it... Not nice :D
  • Could you post some info what options are supported apart from defaults? Like whether paravirtualized interfaces are supported etc. Or how does it behave with multiple drives. Nested virtualization support? (metarouter)

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:44 pm

It is.

It is...

What part of documentation related to the chr you need to rewrite in the forum?

Cannot help you with vbox, I am using vmware and other 64bit Linux option worked fine everytime.

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:15 pm

With VMware, it supports both vmxnet3 and pvscsi. I don't know about VirtualBox, but it should be very easy to try - either it will work or not.

lapsio
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:26 pm

With VMware, it supports both vmxnet3 and pvscsi. I don't know about VirtualBox, but it should be very easy to try - either it will work or not.
But I'm using Linux host so... Yes it is that simple. Except if it doesn't work - now step 2 - it doesn't work because ROS doesn't support it and it's normal or it should, just it doesn't work because your custom super hardened grsecurity kernel (which breakes VGA support if installed in VM) on not updated for years, edgy ass Arch doesn't want to load kernel module because it finds it dangerous and you need to edit 20 config files and reboot 13 times after disabling iptables and changing NIC driver vendor to make VirtualBox networking work correctly...

Just like with winbox - MikroTik says it works under wine so as it didn't for me I knew it's not problem with winbox but with my Linux. For now ROS detected interfaces but allowed me to set MTU 50000 on interface so I'm not entirely sure how to feel about it >_>