MikroTik App

lapsio
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Adding more vCPUs increases latency

Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:31 am

Hello

Today I tried p-unlimited trial in VM and found out that when I add more than 1 vCPU latency skyrockets. With 1 vCPU I have 0.7 ms ping to edge router. However after increasing to 4 vCPUs ping dropped to above 9 ms (over 10 times). I trid it multiple times and it's reproducible. I'm using VirtualBox under linux host. Could somebody test it in VBox on another machine or with different hypervisor? It's hard to tell for me whether it's problem with CHR ROS or VBox.

pukkita
Trainer
Trainer

Re: Adding more vCPUs increases latency

Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:31 am

Which version?

Which kind of ethernet interface did you set in VirtualBox under Advanced settings?

lapsio
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:45 am

Which version?

Which kind of ethernet interface did you set in VirtualBox under Advanced settings?
virtio, KVM paravirtualization. VirtualBox 5.0.2

pukkita
Trainer
Trainer

Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:53 am

Ok.

ROS version? Unless you are more specific it won't be possible to reproduce your results...

lapsio
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:03 am

Ok.

ROS version? Unless you are more specific it won't be possible to reproduce your results...
Bugfix. I downloaded it like 4h ago xD I doubt they updated since then. 6.37.5. VDI image

Other info:
2 interfaces (gw and lan), both bridged with host OS bridges - brwan and brvm.
Functional vm bridged with brvm. brwan bridged with actual gateway interface in host.
512mb ram, 1 or 4 vCPUs, no soundcard, no USB, no shared folders, 12mb gpu mem, no 3d acceleration, no PAE, no encryption. VT-x and nested paging enabled.

ROS mostly vanilla I only added addresses to interfaces and masquerade on gw interface. Everything else vanilla - no firewall. Nothing.
/system profile was showing 0% of everything.