savage
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

CHR Spec'ing VMWare Host

Tue May 02, 2017 6:56 pm

Hi,

Couple of questions re CHR please...

1) Anyone running a CHR in a high demanding environment? When running on 10G hardware, what kind of actual performance is achieved? Can I realistically expect 5Gbps+ when a CCR is battling with 4Gbps+ (similar configurations)? The application will be CPU bound, BGP, quite a few firewall mangles, connection tracking (required), queue tree with a few hundred items, etc. Basically, everything that makes Mikrotik slow... What kind of performance and what kind of hardware are you using?

2) Given the CPU requirements, how is the CHR basically configured optimally as a VM on ESX? VMWare suggest giving the virtual machine as few vCPUs as possible, yet MT will obviously benefit from more CPU cores? Does the CHR benefit from say, 40-vCPU's if 40-cores are available on the host? The host will be dedicated to one single CHR VM, so all available resources will be thrown towards the CHR.

3) Then, there's also the obvious last question of course, to CHR or to x86?

Currently I am looking at:
- SuperMicro X10DRW-I
- 2 x Xeon E5-2620 (8-Core/16-Threads per CPU)
- 32GB DDR4, 2133Mhz
- Intel 82599ES (2 x 10G sfp+)

I am realistically expecting maybe 2K mangle rules, 400 queues in a queue tree (I can't use simple queues for the desired functionality), throughput in excess of 5Gbps+, 2 x full BGP feeds... CCR basically falls over with this config and load.

p3rad0x
Long time Member
Long time Member

Re: CHR Spec'ing VMWare Host

Wed May 24, 2017 6:18 pm

+1

Would we nice if MT can run some test with different hardware configs and provide a chart or something with "expected performance"

Or if someone is brave enough to start up 2 CHR instances on amazon AWS with 128vCores and run tests between them