Community discussions

MikroTik App

Baskertech
just joined
Topic Author

RADIUS server not responding. CHR on AWS

Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:59 pm

Hello Everyone

I recently fired up a cloud hosted router on Amazon to act as a remote RADIUS server for my hotspots. The hotspots were already up and running but my RADIUS was usermanager on each router (127.0.0.1). I configured the remote UM on the CHR, created a user, allowed incoming radius, the works. I also added on UM both the Public IP of the CHR provided by Amazon, and the public IP of the hotspot setup. (The hotspot itself is managed by a rb951, but the ISP uses SXT antennas for reception) On the hotspot side I changed the RADIUS address to the amazon public IP and the matching secret. I laso opened all ports to all traffic on the AWS instance security. It should be working. Am i missing something here?

Thank you in advance

Cheers!

Laurentino Reis

vinmao
just joined

Re: RADIUS server not responding. CHR on AWS

Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:36 pm

hi my rb951 is giving me error.....
Radius server is not responding.

Can you help as you said yours working well before you moved to cloud.

Thanks.

tarecco
just joined

Re: RADIUS server not responding. CHR on AWS

Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:57 pm

For future visits to this post: I managed to solve this particular problem.

You have to open an entry in the Hotspot's walled garden for the CHR (RADIUS) IP, as well as an outbound and inbound rule on the Firewall for that same IP.

Still have this problem thought, when I connect through a 3G dongle as WAN. Same configuration, if I connect through my normal contract ISP works perfectly. The moment I connect with the 3gG "RADIUS is not responding". I believe it has something to do with NAT's on the operator's side, as well as with dynamic IP's but I don't know how to solve the issue.

Replying to vinmao: search the forums for "RADIUS server not responding". The usual problems and solutions are all there. Only one that isn't, and that happened to me recently on a RB951, is that in some equipment you need to open a inbound and a outbound rule to allow all traffic to the RADIUS IP, even if you have a local RADIUS on the same unit (127.0.0.1)