Community discussions

MikroTik App

n1els
just joined
Topic Author

CHR license renewal behavior

Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:08 am

Mikrotik CHR Manual, under section License Update
In '/system license' menu router will indicate the time next-renewal-at when it will attempt to contact server located on licence.mikrotik.com. Communication attempts will be performed once an hour after the date on next-renewal-at and will not cease until the server responds with an error. If deadline-at date is reached without successfully contacting the account server, the router will consider that license has expired and will disallow further software updates. However, router will continue to work with the same license tier as before.
So in my case I have a CHR with a p1 license running on AWS for more than a year now. Unfortunately someone changed something on the DNS server which caused the CHR to be unable to verify the license status.

So when people started complaining about packet loss and other random issues it took me a while to discover the licenses was now listed as "free" instead of p1. This of course limited the throughput quite a bit, and luckily it was easily fixed after fixing the DNS issue and doing a manual license renewal. So even though this behavior is to be expected (it seems like a logical result to me), it's not what is indicated in the manual. Unless "continue to work with the same license tier as before" means the license tier before the one you have now or something.

Can someone confirm the revert to free is indeed the expected behavior (as this would confirm the dns problem was indeed what caused my problem)?

Bonus question: What would be the best way to monitor this? is there an snmp oid value I can set an alert on or something?

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re: CHR license renewal behavior

Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:26 am

Where did you see "FREE" specifically? In RouterOS, there is a checkbox that says "limited upgrades". If not verified, this changes to checked in two months, and means RouterOS can't be upgraded anymore. This is the only effect you should be seeing.

Buckyibf79
just joined

Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:03 am

I have a P1 license which also shows limited upgrades. I didnt know after two months this would happen! Is there another process so I can upgrade RouterOS?

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:59 pm

"Limited upgrades" means you did not pay for the license during the Trial time, or that there was no internet connection from CHR to the mikrotik.com server during this time.
You need to reinstall and then you will be able to assign your purchased license to the reinstalled system (quicker than in 2 months this time).

ArmanAskari
just joined

Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:50 am

I have a chr with free license and I upgraded the license to P1, but still limited upgrade is active. What should I do?

Chupaka
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:37 pm

/system license print
?

ArmanAskari
just joined

Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:17 pm

/system license print
?
its here

Chupaka
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Apr 07, 2019 2:31 pm

Did you pay for that P1?

ArmanAskari
just joined

Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:47 am

yes sure!
my problem solved with update time and date and renew license!
now it's ok :D