Community discussions

MikroTik App

moham96
Topic Author

run openwrt metarouter on RB952Ui-5ac2nD-TC

Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:34 pm

Hi,
i'm trying to run metarouter in my hap ac lite tower, I downloaded openwrt image that's provided in the wiki and put it on flash drive, connected the drive to the router and tried to import the image from winbox but it fails with
Couldn't continue - import failed: could not extract ./bin/busybox: No space left on device (6)
But the resource page says that i have 4.9MiB so obviously that's not enough.
So can i run metarouter VM from the usb drive (import the image to the usb drive not to the internal memory )?
I have not installed or uploaded any files to the router(it's in factory state) so if i't memory is not sufficient to the metarouter feature why does the feature appear in winbox ?

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: run openwrt metarouter on RB952Ui-5ac2nD-TC

Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:25 pm

Metarouter can not be run from removable drive. It has to be stored internally.
You can free used space by removing of unnecessary packages and files.

moham96
Topic Author

Sat Dec 23, 2017 6:49 am

Metarouter can not be run from removable drive. It has to be stored internally.
You can free used space by removing of unnecessary packages and files.
Thanks, i ended up removing all packages except for system,wireless,ppp and dhcp to be able to run one metarouter(my hdd space maxed).
unfortunately i do need some more packages (hotspot and user-manager) that i can no longer install, so now i have to choose between metarouter or hostspot functionality.
I think that mikrotik should add the option to run metarouter from usb drive giving that most of the routers are limited when it comes to hdd space

moham96
Topic Author

Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:27 am

After some testing openwrt is not useable, once i installed nano and python hdd got filled, this could be solved from mikrorik side by either allowing metarouters to be installed on the usb drive or exposing the flash drive to the metarouter so we can setup extroot to use flash drive to install packages

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:47 am

Or it can be solved from your side by obtaining proper device with big flash disk. Or you can run a virtualization server in your network that allows you whatever you may want to.

moham96
Topic Author

Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:18 pm

Or it can be solved from your side by obtaining proper device with big flash disk. Or you can run a virtualization server in your network that allows you whatever you may want to.
well if my device was not supposed to run metarouter it shouldn't have metarouter feature enabled and showing in winbox or at least that should have been stated in the wiki page or product page

andriys
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: run openwrt metarouter on RB952Ui-5ac2nD-TC  [SOLVED]

Sat Dec 23, 2017 4:28 pm

or at least that should have been stated in the wiki page or product page

A quote from the wiki (link):
Currently MetaRouter can be used on
* RB400, RB700 series except models with SPI flash, RB900 series except models with SPI flash, RB2011 boards
* Listed PPC boards: RB1000, RB1100, RB1100AH and RB800.

I have highlighted the most important part for you. The RB952Ui-5ac2nD-TC (aka "hAP ac lite tower") router is the model with SPI flash.