Community discussions

MikroTik App

garethiowc
just joined
Topic Author

Proxmox and CHR

Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:02 am

Hi all,

I'm after a little bit of help in running router os inside of proxmox.

So proxmox is running on Debian on a server that is hosted by hertzner.

i have followed this guide to get download a copy of the CHR image and create the container - https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:C ... stallation

the vm is up and running but i can't reach the outside world and i think it's due to my network config on the host.

Host IP -

ip - *.*.128.17
Netmask - 255.255.255.192
gateway - *.*.128.1
broadcast - *.*.128.63

CHR IP -

ip - *.*.128.105
Netmask - 255.255.255.192
gateway - *.*.128.65
broadcast - *.*.128.127

The CHR ip is a second ip address that hertzner has supplied and assigned to the host server but has a different gateway.

do i need to some how tell the host that the CHR ip address has a different gateway or is that on inside the vm?

Here is my interface config for the host -
source /etc/network/interfaces.d/*

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

iface lo inet6 loopback

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static
        address  ***.**.128.17
        netmask  255.255.255.192
        gateway  ***.**.128.1
        up route add -net ***.**.128.0 netmask 255.255.255.192 gw ***.**.128.1 dev eth0
# route ***.**.128.0/26 via ***.**.128.1

iface eth0 inet6 static
        address  ****:***:221:1bd1::2
        netmask  64
        gateway  fe80::1

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet manual
        bridge_ports none
        bridge_stp off
        bridge_fd 0
        bridge_vlan_aware yes

bridge_maxwait 0

# Add all single IP's from your subnet
  up route add -host *.*.128.105 dev vmbr0

iface vmbr0 inet6 static
  # Our Host again as the Gateway
  address ****:***:221:1bd1::2
  # Here we use the /64 subnet!
  netmask 64

I've got next to no config in the router just at the stage of trying to send a ping
Screen Shot 2018-04-07 at 01.56.36.png
It's 2am here and i'm really tired to i could juts be doing somthing really silly but any help would be amazing

gareth
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

2frogs
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: Proxmox and CHR

Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:35 am

ghusson
just joined

Fri May 18, 2018 10:22 am

Hello, I am a Proxmox consultant and reseller partner. I have done several CHR installations on Proxmox.
Do you still need help ?

garethiowc
just joined
Topic Author

Fri May 18, 2018 11:49 am

Thank you but i managed to get it working.

Hertzner require you to set the mac address of the wan interface to one they provide with the static ip address.

hashbang
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:41 am

@ghusson
As you are a consultant for proxmox. Can you please tell me the performance of proxmox on Mikrotik running as pppoe-server. I got very poor performance on all the servers. Mikrotik couldnt give me any answer other than "try hyper-V". In proxmox performance degrades after 800 pppoe users. CPU usage barely 20%

thanks

schadom
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:07 am

@ghusson
As you are a consultant for proxmox. Can you please tell me the performance of proxmox on Mikrotik running as pppoe-server. I got very poor performance on all the servers. Mikrotik couldnt give me any answer other than "try hyper-V". In proxmox performance degrades after 800 pppoe users. CPU usage barely 20%

thanks
might be a good starting point
https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Performance_Tweaks

syd
just joined

Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:28 pm

Hello!

The problem is known about CHR (even worse with FreeBSD based platforms) on Proxmox. Some tests results are shown here:
https://blog.kroy.io/2019/08/23/battle- ... l-routers/

And here the exactly reason is explained:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jh9HskaS-DA&t=410

So, after seeing this, can anybody well knowing how Proxmox work on this level, tell us is that possible to change this behavior on KVM or the completely new driver are needed and it's hopeless for now?

Best Regards.

IPAsupport
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:28 pm

I did the testing in the YouTube video referenced above, and we found ProxMox to be in the middle as compared to VM Ware and HyperV.

Part of the reason for this is driver support. In talking with MIkroTik at the MUM, there were existing drivers for ESXi and KVM that could be used. However, there weren't any existing drivers for HyperV and so they had to be developed for the CHR.

This is likely the reason for the performance difference (although I don't know for sure, the developers seemed to generally agree with this assessment)

HyperV has a free version and I don't recommend running any kind of clustering or hypervisor HA when designing for NFV - keep it simple - local storage and single HV per router where possible for the best performance.

syd
just joined

Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:36 pm

I was wondering why I recognize that "IP" logo ;) Thanks for this talk. It explained a lot for me.

Now I'm looking if there is some possibility to do tweaks in Proxmox and what it may be. I don't know exactly what should I ask for. How to name feature to manipulate. I guess that's not just a parameter somewhere in "packet buffer fragmentation size" expressed in MTU or kb units. ;)

All I got for now is:
The network stack in KVM depence on two things Memory speed and CPU frequency.
There are the option to speed up the network like vhost, SR-IOV, DPDK, but they are not included in Proxmox VE.

Seems that pfSense team are dropping FreeBSD after ten years of development and started new project called tnsr last year which is based on Linux. Maybe because of better virtualization implementation.