Community discussions

MikroTik App

gosha
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Simplest way to run ROS inside windows PC?

Sun May 20, 2018 11:18 pm

Hi

What is the simplest way to run RouterOS on windows? Which hypervisor can be running in portable mode? I tried Virtualbox portable, but it failes to run, at least on one my Win 7 machine, Any advises?

Thanks,
D

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Simplest way to run ROS inside windows PC?

Mon May 21, 2018 12:31 am

I'd say that the simplest way is to just use regular VirtualBox or VMware Player installation. RouterOS works with both. But if your heart is set on portable mode...

I'm not sure what's the advantage, I've found some portable VirtualBox and it says that it needs admin rights to install some services and drivers anyway. But I guess you have your reasons.

Did you try regular VirtualBox at least once, to make sure that it's not just configuration mistake, which has nothing to do with portable mode?

gosha
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Mon May 21, 2018 12:50 am

Don't have much experience with VirtualBox at all but in my case the portable installation is not able to bridge with host adapter. When I select bridge it shows no adapters in drop-down list below. I need a bridge because I need to use mac telnet from this RouterOS

gosha
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Mon May 21, 2018 1:06 am

I'd say that the simplest way is to just use regular VirtualBox or VMware Player installation. RouterOS works with both. But if your heart is set on portable mode...

I'm not sure what's the advantage, I've found some portable VirtualBox and it says that it needs admin rights to install some services and drivers anyway. But I guess you have your reasons.

Did you try regular VirtualBox at least once, to make sure that it's not just configuration mistake, which has nothing to do with portable mode?
Really in VirtualBox was a configuration feature - run without network ) Everything works fine. Simplest way is a VirtualBox portable

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Mon May 21, 2018 8:49 am

Just make sure (and this is super important) to use CHR Install file, not the X86 ISO. Only CHR supports virtual machines:
https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:C ... stallation

gosha
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Mon May 21, 2018 9:24 am

Just make sure (and this is super important) to use CHR Install file, not the X86 ISO. Only CHR supports virtual machines:
https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:C ... stallation
I got OVF and imported the machine. Anyway, the problem was because the network is switched off by default