Community discussions

MikroTik App

thadrumr
Topic Author

CHR 6.43.4 Packet loss on ESXi 6.7

Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:01 pm

I am wanting to see if anyone has had any issues with packet loss on ESXi 6.7 with CHR version 6.43.4? I have tested all other vm's on this host and they are not getting packet loss. This is setup on a HP DL380 G6 with Xeon X5650 and the VM was provisioned with 4 Cores and 256MB of ram. This same router is running on HyperV with the same config with no packet loss. I know the consensus is that it runs better on Hyper-V and it is running well on my Hyper-V Host, but was just curious why this was happening.

lyutskanov
just joined

Re: CHR 6.43.4 Packet loss on ESXi 6.7

Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:14 pm

Generally speaking HP ProLiant Gen6 is not officially supported since ESXi 6.5 and looks like you are beating a dead horse. Also if you use HPE customised ESXi installation ISO for 6.5/6.7 (with pre-integrated HP drivers/vibs) you're gonna hit the PSOD. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure you can get the latest esxi 6.7 up and running on G6 but with questionable success as you can never be sure if everything is as it should be ... because of the drivers. Anyway, your real problem revolves around NIC drivers (vibs) of ESXi 6.7 and the lack of support for dead horses like G6. The issue is not only observed for CHR. The easiest option is to downgrade the hypervisior to 6.0. If you want it hard enough then you have to play with esxi 6.5/6.7 and different NIC vibs in order to find the best possible/workable option.

thadrumr
Topic Author

Re: CHR 6.43.4 Packet loss on ESXi 6.7

Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:33 pm

FYI the PSOD was only on gen 7 and all other vms including Pfsense and vyos works fine. There a bunch of people on the Homelab reddit with gen 6 and gen 7 running version 6.5 and 6.7. I have also run Debian vms with no packet loss and able to get good throughput.