Community discussions

MikroTik App

hesam1992
just joined
Topic Author

How do i reinstall mikrotik license in new X86 VM

Thu May 23, 2019 9:26 pm

Hi
I have a Licensed x86 Mikrotik server in a data center, I need to move this machine to a new data center, and data center does not allow VM Migration and backup restore ,and reinstalling os give us diffrent Software-ID and our license wont work , what should be done in such cases? Please advise ....

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: How do i reinstall mikrotik license in new X86 VM

Fri May 24, 2019 12:26 am

a) Buy new license (go for CHR, it's moveable, so the same problem won't repeat in future). It will cost some money, but it's the simplest, fastest and reliable way.

b) Convince data center to accept your original virtual disk. But it still doesn't guarantee success, because x86 RouterOS has Software-ID as copy protection, and it depends not only on disk content, but also on how the disk is identified, and different hosting environment can change that.

c) Ask MikroTik support, if they can do anything for you. Manual mentions replacement license, but I have not idea if it applies also to VMs.

r00t
Long time Member
Long time Member

Fri May 24, 2019 2:55 am

Often for VMs, disk serial numbers aren't really unique, so if you are lucky, newly created one will be same as the old one. You can try imaging complete old disk (some part of license is stored somewhere on disk as well, it must match the disk) and then restoring it into exactly same new one (boot linux and use dd to do the job). It may work, as long as it's exactly the same VM host software and exactly the same disk size etc..
Or just go to for the CHR, unless you need wlan or to run it without VM (drivers are only in regular ROS), CHR is much better choice for VM hosted servers and license is movable.

Steveocee
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:33 pm

Older x86 licenses were done per installation per HDD. You'll be on an uphill struggle to get Mikrotik support to re-issue it for you as from what I've read they tend to only re-issue for damaged HDD's.
It will involve paying for a license but pay for a CHR license and never have this problem again.