Community discussions

MikroTik App

Fractoid
just joined
Topic Author

Proxmox & CHR for shared home network

Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:40 pm

Hi

I'm busy setting up a shared network and internet connectivity for a cluster of houses and need some advice before buying hardware.

There are two ISP links that are being load-balanced by a firewall that needs to be shared between the houses.
The total bandwidth usage is about 12GB per day of which the majority is consumed during the evenings.
One of the houses is already using a MikroTik hEX S router with MikroTik cAP ACs managed by CAPsMAN.
The networks/houses will be separated by static VLANs.

The plan is to buy a Qotom Q555G6 with a Core i5-7200U, 8GB RAM, 120GB mSATA and then using Proxmox to virtualize a MikroTik CHR along with pfSense using the following assignments:
MikroTik CHR - CPU: 1st core, RAM: 256MB, Disk: 1GB
pfSense - CPU: 2nd core, RAM: 5.75GB, HDD: 105GB
Proxmox - RAM: 2GB, HDD: 2GB
All of the ethernet ports will be assigned to the CHR with it managing the VLANs, bridges and running CAPsMAN as well as The Dude.

I would like to know if the Qotom machine will suffice for the planned implementation and if the CHR resource assignments are sufficient?

Thanks

Fractoid
just joined
Topic Author

Re: Proxmox & CHR for shared home network

Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:07 pm

I see a lot of people having a look at the post but no-one having any advice, so I thought I'll break it down a bit.

CHR virtualization on Proxmox is supported with the following minimum requirements:
Package version: RouterOS v6.34 or newer
Host CPU: 64-bit with virtualization support
RAM: 128MB or more
Disk: 128MB disk space for the CHR virtual hard drive (Max: 16GB)
https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:CHR

I increased the RAM to 256MB and the disk to 1GB since there will be about 9 network interfaces and The Dude server running.
The CPU is a i5-7200U dual core CPU with Hyper-Threading giving it four threads.
https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en ... 0-ghz.html

It is often recommended to disable Hyper-Threading for the CHR but I don't know if it is necessary in this case due to the small workload and the fact that I want to run Proxmox and a virtualized firewall as well.

sebastia
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Proxmox & CHR for shared home network

Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:24 pm

I remember some topics on that recently: check some of these
search.php?keywords=chr+virtual&terms=a ... mit=Search

On core question, with that relatively limited load, a 4011 or low CCR would be enough. That probably an overkill already.