Community discussions

MikroTik App

boaza
just joined
Topic Author

vmware vsan connecting each host to two switch

Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:47 pm

Hi,

We have bought two CRS326-24S+2Q+RM switches that are dedicated only for the VSAN network that we build.

I did't had to do much configuration, no vlan or other configuration, just gave the management interface an ip so i will be able to manage it. So it very basic.

I have 3 hosts with vmware 6.7 and each one have 2 ports 10G

I have connected each host to only one switch and everything wroks great.

Then i have connected the second port of each host to the second switch. This is not good because the 2 switched are not connected so if one port of specific host is down then he will not get packages that moves on the switch that he is disconnected from.

So i have asked and a network guy told me to just connect the two switch, in any port that i want, one to another. So i put a cable from port 20 in the first one to port 20 on the second one. Then many problems have started... even that the second switch wasn't even connected to hosts..

Then he told me that maybe the STP is not enable and there migth be loop.

I found some posts about people that doing similar things but i am not sure what it my case... i saw people talking about interface bonding/Link aggregation/bridge ext... what do i need to do?

Thank you
Boaz

schadom
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: vmware vsan connecting each host to two switch

Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:59 pm

We have basically have the same setup just that we are using two CRS305-1G-4S+. No problems at all with VMWare, but we do not have both switches connected together directly. Each server has two 10G NICs, one connected to Switch A and one connected to switch B. Our storage is connected to both Switches A/B with one 10G port each. The copper port is used for management.

boaza
just joined
Topic Author

Re: vmware vsan connecting each host to two switch

Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:26 am

Hi, i think that in your setup it is ok because each swich is connected to the storage. So if for example you have 2 vmware host, one of them have problem with nic a and the second with nic b, they will be able to reach the storage throught the working port.

In Our setup we implimented the vmware vsan which is distributed storage which means (for may basic knowlage) that each host should be connected to all other host. So in my case, if one host have problem with nic a and second host have problem with nic b then they will not be able to reach each other unless we connect the switch

I still doesn't succeed to find a solution for that