Community discussions

MikroTik App

whitemoon
just joined
Topic Author

WIreless interface detected as ethernet interface

Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:52 pm

Hello all,
I've been stuck with this for a week and don't know how to solve it.

Here is the situation :
I'm trying to setup a Wireless Hotspot from RouterOS that is virtualised on Fedora through virt-manager. The goal is to be able to simulate a Wireless hotspot before setting it up with a real Mikrotik router.
I'm connected to internet through ether1 which is the connection VM-HOST, and want to setup the Hotspot through a wireless usb device Realtek Semiconducter RTL8192EU with id 0bda:818b.
I've added the network in virt-manager with parameters as follow. I did not add the USB device in virt manager in addition.
Source mode : VEPA (tried bridge as well)
Device model : rtl8139. (rtl8192 is not suggested and creates an error if I type RTL8192)

But this is the result of /interface print
 #     NAME                                TYPE       ACTUAL-MTU L2MTU  MAX-L2MTU MAC-ADDRESS
 0  R  ether1                              ether            1500                  52:54:00:4E:8D:C1
 1  R  ether2                              ether            1500                  52:54:00:43:AA:7D
My Wireless interface is detected as an ethernet one. And that cause me trouble for the hotspot setup because I can't set an SSID and thus connect to the hotspot from the outside.
How can i set the interface to Wireless manually ? Do i need to add a device model in virtual manager ? How can I do it ?
Or can I manage to have a Wireless hotspot otherwise ?
Thank you, hope to hear from you.

Cha0s
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: WIreless interface detected as ethernet interface

Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:34 pm

https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Supporte ... less_cards
Note: RouterOS v6 does not support any USB Wi-Fi adapter

whitemoon
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:15 pm

Thank you for your reply,
How can I download previous versions ? I did not find v5 and less there : https://mikrotik.com/download/archive
Otherwise I could plug my Wireless device into another OS and use the routerOS as a bridge and setup the hotspot from RouterOS would it work ?
Thank you

ingdaka
Trainer
Trainer

Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:10 am

Everything that you will do in virtualization will be the same situation because software that you use to virtualize will do as ethernet