MikroTik App

accarda
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Info to avoid screwing up the license renewal

Sat Mar 20, 2021 7:27 pm

Hi all,
I'm running a CHR and after few days of using the free license I purchased the P1 license.
Therefore the CHR is still running the trial and it says "next renewal at Apr/1" and "deadline at May/1".
Since my P1 license is already active on the MK site, should I run the renew license from CHR on April 1st ?
Or is it an automatic process and the CHR will attempt to renew itself ?
Since I still have time I'd like to understand the process to avoid stupid mistakes or make wrong assumptions.

Thanks in advance for any info.
Armando

Cablenut9
Long time Member
Long time Member

Re: Info to avoid screwing up the license renewal

Sat Mar 20, 2021 7:37 pm

There shouldn't be any renewal at all, unless they changed something recently with CHR.

accarda
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Sat Mar 20, 2021 7:46 pm

Actually I was reading the doc from wiki and MK says on license update:
In '/system license' menu router will indicate the time next-renewal-at when it will attempt to contact server located on licence.mikrotik.com. Communication attempts will be performed once an hour after the date on next-renewal-at and will not cease until the server responds with an error. If deadline-at date is reached without successfully contacting the account server, the router will consider that license has expired and will disallow further software updates. However, router will continue to work with the same license tier as before.
I was reading the entire page and my doubt was about that I purchased (and activated on the MK website) the license may be too early ?
I'm not sure whether the process was supposed to be "you buy the license after next renewal, but before deadline", but based on this note the CHR should try by itself (even though on mine, the credential are not saved anywhere, so I doubt it can login properly).
According to this info I should have time from next renewal up until deadline to hit the renew button from CHR and it should find the perpetual P1 license and be happy.
But as this is my first CHR install I wanted to be sure.

accarda
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:36 pm

Just to complete this discussion, CHR was able to contact the account server and renew the license before reaching the deadline with no issues and automatically.
Also I had to re-install the CHR months later, which created a new system ID.
From there I started again a new P1 license trial and from account website I was able to transfer the P1 from old CHR to this new one in advance. On trial expiration, CHR was able to contact account server and establish that P1 was properly transferred.
So all in all the process worked fine and automatically with no issues.