Community discussions

MikroTik App

debian91
just joined
Topic Author

Supermicro Setup recommendations

Wed Jul 14, 2021 12:51 am

Hi, I am planning to purchase super micro server to use as a Mikrotik Router. we are using a CCR1072 but we need more machine, (we are using about 1000-1500 pppoe sessions) Which supermicro do u recommend? we want install CHR .. we need 10G sockets too, do u have any feedback with this ?

Thanks in advance

loloski
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: Supermicro Setup recommendations

Wed Jul 14, 2021 4:52 pm

Hi,

we have 1.2k active customers on CCR-1036 with 10 to 12% cpu usage, the trick is disable your connection tracking on your actual pppoe-server and do the network address translation on another dedicated router, don't go with CHR route unnecessarily. I'm sorry if i'm jumping on a conclusion that you are having an issues with your CCR-1072 that force you to go on CHR platform to bail you out, been there done that CHR is not the answer to your pppoe issue if you have one.

most of the use case here for CHR is BGP but i haven't witness a live setup with 2k+ simultaneous connection doing pppoe service and natting at the same box if that's what you are really after, just my 0.2$

debian91
just joined
Topic Author

Re: Supermicro Setup recommendations

Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:51 pm

Hi! Interesting! Thanks for ur reply, yes, we are doing nat and ppoe server with the same box, interesting point, :) we will try this too.

Regards