Community discussions

MikroTik App

Skaught
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

RouterOS on Amazon EC2

Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:11 am

Is crazy to even think about installing RouterOS on a Cloud instance?

I am not sure this is possible. Although would be pretty darn cool.

I have a RB1000 hotspot controller for hotspots all over North America, it would be nice to be able to leverage the Amazon peering by moving it there. RIght now I have to worry about localized Internet issues knocking out systems all over the place and Amazon has super cheap bandwidth.

Also could make a nice VPN Server, central to people all over the world really. Especially when many corporate servers are hosted on the cloud now.

janisk
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re: RouterOS on Amazon EC2

Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:15 pm

you should be fine running MetaROUTER geust on RB1000

Skaught
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:19 pm

I meant moving the function to Amazon. You cannot move hardware onto EC2.

Really one of the nice things about it. No hardware to ever fail.

janisk
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:33 pm

it seem syou are able to install x86 there (as windows is there running) so you can create some usermanager instance there, and making hotspots to authorize against that server. But not sure about other benefits.

Skaught
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:17 pm

The windows used on the EC2 is not standard off the shelf. I suspect similar changes would have to be made to ROS.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amazon_Machine_Image

Would be interesting but likely an idea before it's time. . .

I am focusing on finding a colo in the usa where I can put a 1U router maybe. No one can come close to the amazon costs though.

changeip
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:10 pm

i think its an awesome idea. I dont think amazon supports all kernels though, from the page you referenced:

"An AMI does not include a kernel image, only a pointer to the default kernel id, which can be chosen from an approved list of safe kernels maintained by Amazon and its partners (e.g., RedHat, Canonical, Microsoft). Users may choose kernels other than the default when booting an AMI.[3]"

I dont understand that last sentence fully, does that mean you can use your own kernel? Maybe I will try it late one night...

janisk
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:33 am

wording indeed suggests, that there is possibility to load other than default kernel. Would interesting to know if that is possible in RouterOS case.

HarvSki

Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:44 pm

did anyone get this working yet?

erkel
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:12 pm

I would like to know too :-)

cbrown
Trainer
Trainer

RouterOS on Amazon EC2

Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:53 pm

I would like to know as well.

andressis2k
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:30 pm

If not possible.... maybe we can run a standard linux distribution, and then run RouterOS into a KVM VM

Perfomance will decrease a bit.... but there is enough processor capacity :P

janisk
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:25 am

only few cpus allow running guest OS into the guest, and most of them come from AMD. I really doubt that amazon is running those CPUs for their cloud installation.

kobuki
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:10 pm

Well, this stuff made me curious so I've created a VMWare image of the newest ROS, converted it into the appropriate format, uploaded to S3 (where the C2 cloud can import it)... only to find out in the end that this method only works for Windows operating systems. There is, however, another possibility. A running EC2 Linux instance can create another one with basically anything running in it. That's something I haven't looked into yet, I lack the free time for this experiment. Other than this, it would be quite an achievement to see ROS included as a standard offering in the EC2 infrastructure.

cbrown
Trainer
Trainer

RouterOS on Amazon EC2

Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:14 pm

Agreed this would be awesome. I am also strapped for time and have not had time to figure this out.

fabianobonin
just joined

Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:56 am

Hi, i think the first thing needed to deploy a RouterOS on Amazon EC2 is that the RouterOS kernel have these kernel option enabled:
To be compatible with EC2, a Linux kernel must support Xen's pv_ops (paravirtual ops) infrastructure with XSAVE disabled or the Xen 3.0.2 interface.
Extracted from http://aws.typepad.com/aws/2010/07/use- ... n-ec2.html

Can someone from Mikrotik staff confirm if this option is enabled?

There is a great tutorial in this link saying how to deploy a custom kernel to Amazon EC2:
http://www.ioncannon.net/system-adminis ... -than-ever

Any volunteer to make the first public AMI image of RouterOS on Amazon EC2 and make it available to us?

Regards,

Fabiano

janisk
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:09 pm

everything regarding XEN virtualization is disabled. Only chance would be to load RouterOS 3.x and all versions till introduction of KVM as VMS in RouterOS.

kshive

Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:57 am

I shot an email about 2 years ago asking if they would want to run Mikrotik as a service in aws. I told them I would help run the project too. They didn't want anything to do with it and told me I could do it myself if I were willing to be a reseller and purchase a bunch of licenses and resell each license per instance ahead of time. The tone of the email was somewhat of a "You are not worth my time" tone. I don't know if they just didn't know what I was talking about or something got lost in translation but they were somewhat rude.

kshive

Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:02 am

Well, this stuff made me curious so I've created a VMWare image of the newest ROS, converted it into the appropriate format, uploaded to S3 (where the C2 cloud can import it)... only to find out in the end that this method only works for Windows operating systems.
This does work for linux instances too. I actually tried a direct import of routeros from vmware (not s3) through the AWS VMware Connector but it failed. I'm thinking there's a kernel issue because they only allow kernels with certain things compiled into it.

VMWare Connector
https://aws.amazon.com/developertools/2759763385083070

richinuk
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:54 pm

Just thinking aloud - has anyone tried this with Azure? On a cursory look, you can import a Linux VM by uploading a VHD file.

NathanA
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:45 am

Just thinking aloud - has anyone tried this with Azure? On a cursory look, you can import a Linux VM by uploading a VHD file.
I know almost nothing about Azure, but wouldn't it be reasonable to assume that it shares code with Hyper-V? If so, wouldn't drivers for ethernet interfaces be a problem (see other Hyper-V threads)?

-- Nathan

richinuk
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:41 am

In which case it will most likely have issues as I believe Azure runs on HyperV. Shame.

jtclint
just joined

Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:47 am

Interesting that I caught this post while it was fresh! I want to see if I can get this working, my Sr at work said that he tried and had issues with the xen kernel on amazon. Anyone make any progress? I have a pretty extensive Amazon set up to use to test with if anyone happens to have a ami set up already!

erkel
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:50 am

I run it under QEMU fine, Limited on IPS encryption due to the emulated CPU.
But can router traffic fine in volume, not sure of the limits as I max the bandwidth out first.

janisk
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:52 am

Isn't Amazon requiring 64bit kernel for the Linux guest machine? RouterOS is not 64bit.

davestahr
just joined

Fri Jul 03, 2015 4:40 pm

Just chiming in here -- being able to run RouterOS on Amazon would be outstanding for my implementation as well. I currently use a ESXi x86 RouterOS installation to do what I'm doing, but this requires maintenance of a server and space at a colo. I'd prefer to see this piece at Amazon. Feature request. :P

I'd be happy to donate some time to work on this and test it if that sort of offer is attractive to anyone over in Latvia!

docmarius
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jul 03, 2015 6:19 pm

Just thinking out loud...

Run an approved Linux image on Amazon, install Oracle VM Virtualbox, and run a ROS image in it...

jwf1776
just joined

Sat Jul 18, 2015 6:28 pm

Isn't Amazon requiring 64bit kernel for the Linux guest machine? RouterOS is not 64bit.
you can run 32bit... I don't understand why mikrotik hasn't provided official AMIs for routerOS as this is one of the largest x86 platforms.

licensing need not be different than downloading a routerOS iso, it would run for 24 hours in a trial mode, after that you need a key.

as for the demand, cost effective site to site vpn is the biggest barrier i have identified for using AWS more in my solutions, currently you can use Amazon VPC, but it gets expensive, easily over +$100/month for minimal traffic.

abjornson

Fri Jul 24, 2015 3:09 am

+1 for this idea - I can think of a million versions of this. I would love to get a ROS box on AWS working...and yes, I would definitely buy the routerOS license to make it possible. A ROS AMI would be fantastic.

jwf1776
just joined

Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:12 am

see mtik product cloud hosted router
http://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=98981

DaveBrowning
just joined

Wed Aug 12, 2015 5:50 am

I ran through the process a few times, creating OVA files, uploading and trying to import. Continually getting this error,
"ClientError: Unknown OS / Missing OS files."

At this time, I'd say not possible.

thiagolima
just joined

Tue Mar 22, 2016 5:43 am

It is indeed a requirement.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:02 am

It is indeed a requirement.
CHR image is 64Bit and runs fine on Amazon EC2. This is quite an old topic, no longer valid.

delphi

Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:11 pm

Do you tell "Run"?
So ok. Do you know that users need in instructions to use you product? It seems that no because you just forgot to add the instructions to find the deafult SSH user login and password to login after launch from AWS. You have done the weird work without any clear intruction about first time start. So you don't have any raitings and comment under marketplace in AWS. It seems that nobody use you product under Amazon now. 

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:47 am

Do you tell "Run"?
So ok. Do you know that users need in instructions to use you product? It seems that no because you just forgot to add the instructions to find the deafult SSH user login and password to login after launch from AWS. You have done the weird work without any clear intruction about first time start. So you don't have any raitings and comment under marketplace in AWS. It seems that nobody use you product under Amazon now. 
Have you used Amazon AWS before? There is no password. For RouterOS or for any other system. You use SSH keys. Please don't post your anger on this forum, you should first see how to use the AWS in general. 

delphi

Sun Jul 31, 2016 5:33 pm

Normis. I aquired the license P1 and the only way I could use the connection before aquire is to open the winbox ports and use the Winbox.
I use the ssh key but the router os want to enter password and user. If I use only login (I know that default login is admin and there is no password) then the ssh tell me incorrect login or password
In instructions from Amazon there are no any info about it.
You must create the clear instruction before sell anything. You are just lazy to create the real manual and wrote "anger" because you have a problems with client support which pay money for you. 

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:02 am

Delphi. I already explained, your problem comes from not understanding Amazon. This has nothing to do with RouterOS. Amazon requires you to use SSH keys. 
We will amend the manual, so this is more clear, but I suggest to first read the Amazon AWS manual before trying to use any of it's marketplace systems, you will have the same error everywhere.