Community discussions

MikroTik App

sjwrick
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Metarouter for UBNT Unifi controller

Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:59 pm

Anybody tried running a metarouter instance using debian and a UBNT Unifi controller on that?

Would a RB 450G handle that? If not what equipment would I need?

Rick

NathanA
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: Metarouter for UBNT Unifi controller

Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:02 am

That's a cool idea, and I may be wrong, but I think you'd need a *lot* of disk space to accommodate that. Since MR can only boot images from internal NAND and can't currently boot ones stored on external volumes (SD, CF, etc.), I'm not sure that this is a realistic wish at this point.

-- Nathan

barkas
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:32 pm

The boot partition doesn't have to be large, you could mount root from microsd, could you not?

NathanA
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:59 am

The boot partition doesn't have to be large, you could mount root from microsd, could you not?
That is also an intriguing idea, but also one that I doubt would work...I don't think the MicroSD slot hardware is exposed to the virtualization environment in any way, shape, or form. So I don't know how you'd read or write anything from/to it within a virtual.

-- Nathan

janisk
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:18 am

that is correct, it is not possible to access any other hardware from guest other that ethernet interface and virtual ethernet interface, anything else is not accessible. Also, it is not possible to place images for virtual guests on other storage device but system.

rmichael
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:51 pm

MetaROUTER is a great idea, however, it needs more time to mature. I evaluated it on RB1100AH and it was quite unstable with OpenWRT image.

As I wait for MetaROUTER fixes, for now, I'm looking into variety of cheap ARM boards, like BeagleBoard and SoC based on AllWinner A1x.

gosha
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Dec 25, 2013 10:06 pm

Anybody tried running a metarouter instance using debian and a UBNT Unifi controller on that?

Would a RB 450G handle that? If not what equipment would I need?

Rick

Hello, sjwrick, had you any luck on this task?

evharten

Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:38 am

that is correct, it is not possible to access any other hardware from guest other that ethernet interface and virtual ethernet interface, anything else is not accessible. Also, it is not possible to place images for virtual guests on other storage device but system.
So you could be able to use NFS as a storage then right ?
For DB and other storage.

janisk
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:13 am

for a guest all network resources that allow IP access are available. That includes NFS shares. So if you can compile your software for required arch with, for example, toolchain for OpenWRT, you are fine.

NathanA
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:05 am

The other problem with this idea is that I don't believe that the source code for the UniFi controller is available, and Ubiquiti (as far as I know) has not built binary packages that are compiled for either MIPS (RB4xx/7xx) or PPC (RB800/1xxx). Even if you got Debian core + APT all running inside of MetaROUTER, the UniFi stuff is not going to install and run inside of it because they have only made packages for x86/x64.

So you would need Ubiquiti's cooperation to make this work.

-- Nathan

EDIT: Well it looks like I should have done my homework first before spouting off. Many components of UniFi Controller are open-source (not written by Ubiquiti; e.g., MongoDB), and those that are proprietary are actually written in Java. So although Ubiquiti does not provide DEB packages for hardware platforms other than x86 and x64, you can build all of the components for your preferred hardware platform by hand (including a Java runtime) and get the software to run on non-Intel hardware platforms that way. See: http://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi/Unif ... d-p/299859

gosha
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:33 am

AFAK unify works on java