MikroTik App

mhugo
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

ROS6 RC9 on Xenserver crashes on boot

Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:16 am

Hi,

We get kernel errors booting ROS6 on Xenserver - Version 5 is working.

/Mikael

Buster2

Re: ROS6 RC9 on Xenserver crashes on boot

Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:07 pm

Hello,

we have several ROS 5.26 installations on XenServer 6.2 in HVM mode running fine (support for xen/vmware/openvm tools would be superior for live migration support). But upgrading to 6.4 or doing a fresh install of 6.4 from ISO image leads to 100% cpu load during boot process and VM's boot process stops. Console only shows
Loading Linux...................
Loading initrd.rgz............
Ready.
In XenCenter we can see cpu load graphs constantly at 100% for 1 vcpu (doesn't matter how many vcpu we put in). Occasionally network traffic goes up to 1.5 kbps but we can't connect to any mac based service to do any initial (ip) configuration. I changed vcpu from 2 down to 1 and ram from 1024 MB down to 128 MB, but hadn't any success.

What may i look for? How to debug this any further?

leequince
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:24 am

Hi,

Same problem with a support case logged over 3 months ago.. and yet no response.

I have yet to find a workaround either.

Lee

AIVAS
just joined

Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:34 pm

Yes! I managed to get RouterOS 6.6 to run on XenServer 6.2. The VM in question was running 5.26.

With XenServer 6.2 (and perhaps earlier) they added support for Windows 8.1, and this support is confusing the mikrotik upgrade/install.

First you'll need a console to the Xenserver Host, so you can change the VM parameters. SSH or XenCenter should work fine. :)

Secondly you need to find the UUID of the VM in question. Use "xe vm-list" to show all the VMs on the host. Look for the Mikrotik VM, and copy the UUID (The clipboard is your friend here..)

Last step is to turn off the "viridian" support..

Using the uuid in the first command, enter "xe vm-param-set uuid=<UUID from first command> platform:viridian=false"

This turns off the viridian support for the VM.

You can now start a new VM for install, or upgrade an existing one. If you had a VM that was crashing during the 2nd stage of the upgrade, this should allow it to continue.

In my testing, the VM Upgrade that had crashed, worked, but locked up on "starting Services...". Forcing a reboot allowed the VM to function normally.

A 5.26 machine was changed, then upgraded, it functioned normally except it failed to reboot on the first stage when it should have. Forcing the reboot allowed it to continue fine, even through the 2nd stage.. go figure!

A fresh install using a 6.6 ISO failed again to restart after install, but a forced reboot had it boot up to login first time.

I suspect disabling ACPI or other flags may resolve the reboot issue, but at least it isn't crashing out now! :)

Buster2

Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:02 pm

Thank you. Works like a charm.

davitnt
just joined

Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:24 pm

I did the above procedure and could install version 6.9 without problems but when I put the RouterOS operating consumption processing goes to 100% and the tool / profile it states that 90% of CPU usage in this Ethernet and could not solve it, any tips?

Buster2

Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:53 pm

I don't see this behaviour on my machines that were upgraded from 6.7 to 6.9. That public hotspot system is like 99% idle in tool/profile. Do you have any complex packet handling within the firewall/routing? In other threads people say resetting and reconfiguring might help and that some problems with packet marking exist.

Did somebody manage to get live migration working?
I could live migrate after manipulating XenServers metadata to let them think VMware tools were installed. But after live migration there was no network access from or to the VM possible. I guess it's something related to ARP, but I hadn't time to invest it further.

janisk
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:44 am

if only problem was with the network - check mac addresses and interfaces of the "router"

Buster2

Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:54 pm

if only problem was with the network - check mac addresses and interfaces of the "router"
What do you mean by this? Live migration doesn't change any interface nor mac in the virtual machine.

CezarEstrada
just joined

Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:45 pm

Thanks AIVAS
Work perfect on XenServer 5.6.0 and RouterOS 6.19
Regards!

Buster2

Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:26 am

In the last RouterOS version my network problem vanished (only tested 5.24 before). Currently my test VM loses 2-4 pings during live migration. Other linux vm's are down to 0-1 lost packets.

In general XenServer supports live migration of HVM guests. But XenCenter doesn't show any buttons to migrate until XenTools are installed. So you need to trick XenServer by manipulating vm's meta data. You need to run this shell script after each boot, reboot and live migration of any RouterOS vm on the host running the vm:
vmname=<name of virtual machine>
domid=$(xe vm-list name-label=$vmname params=dom-id | cut -d':' -f2 | tr -d ' ')
xenstore-write /local/domain/$domid/attr/PVAddons/MajorVersion "6"
xenstore-write /local/domain/$domid/attr/PVAddons/MinorVersion "2"
xenstore-write /local/domain/$domid/attr/PVAddons/MicroVersion "0"
xenstore-write /local/domain/$domid/attr/PVAddons/BuildVersion "54078"
xenstore-write /local/domain/$domid/attr/PVAddons/Installed "1"
xenstore-write /local/domain/$domid/data/updated "1"
possible improvements to this script: the xe command line can query power-state running and meta data like tags (assign them via XenCenter vm properties).
xe vm-list tags=RouterOS power-state=running
then the script could loop through vm's, querying each vm for its dom-id and do xenstore-write. You could run this as a cronjob. An event driven change would be even better. Anyone out there who wants to build script listening to events (boot, reboot, migrate)? :) Basic examples are in Xen API/SDK documentation.

If you like to pimp available information in XenCenter you can
add ip adresses into the Networking tab in XenCenter:
xenstore-write /local/domain/$domid/attr/eth0/ip "<ip address>"
set the operating system name and version:
xenstore-write /local/domain/$domid/attr/PVAddons/os/class "RouterOS"
xenstore-write /local/domain/$domid/attr/PVAddons/os/major "6"
xenstore-write /local/domain/$domid/attr/PVAddons/os/minor "19"
just don't forget to tell the XenServer that you updated meta data after each change:
xenstore-write /local/domain/$domid/data/updated "1"
kudos to http://lists.xen.org/archives/html/xen- ... 00015.html