Community discussions

MikroTik App

wise0tamas
just joined

Re: Cloud Hosted Router

Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:11 pm

How to deploy CHR on KVM VPS with Virtualizor Client panel ?
the provider Just support ISO instalation file ?
Probably you could try clonezilla:
1) beforehand, in a local vm boot clonezilla iso with the CHR image as the disk, and create a clonezilla archive of that disk,
2) then boot the VPS via the same clonezilla iso, network prepared, and then "reload" the prepared clonezilla archive of the CHR onto the disk of the VPS,
3) boot the VPS via the disk.
Hopefully, then CHR would boot normally on the VPS.

odge
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Jun 11, 2016 4:45 pm

VMWare tools are for Windows and such operating systems. RouterOS will not have it. All the needed network and storage drivers are already there, VMtools will not be there
one of the most important reasons to have vm-tools is so that the hyper-visor is aware of the state of the VM, and can reboot it if no heartbeats are received.  Check out https://pubs.vmware.com/vsphere-50/inde ... D78E7.html
I think given that development of open-vm-tools, its inclusion in every single linux distributions package distribution system, is testament to exactly how important it is.
Currently when CHR crashes in hypervisor enviroment. It requires manual intervention, and there is no way around that except to use other unsupported techniques.
Every other vmware appliance I've come across that punts any kind of support for vmware has open-vm-tools installed. Personally I dont care so much about the drivers, but I do care about keeping my RouterOS on when its locked up.

odge
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Jun 11, 2016 4:48 pm

Hello,

Here is an OVA optimized for VMware vSphere with SCSI hard disk and SCSI controller (paravirtualization). The hard drive has 1GB.

Version: 6.35.2
OVA: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/381 ... phere6.zip

It can be used on VMware Workstation as well.

Enjoy!

Best regards.
Hi
Why the Paravirtual route? 

odge
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Jun 11, 2016 4:57 pm

VMWare tools are for Windows and such operating systems. RouterOS will not have it. All the needed network and storage drivers are already there, VMtools will not be there
Hello Normis,

I understand that Mikrotik does not contain the complete VMware Tools, but should have implemented Linux drivers , at least for the network card: https://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/micro ... Id=1001805. It would be nice to have a SCSI controller for hard disks and as a bonus, heartbeat function. But then you have to support only one version of VMware Solution: Workstation or better ESXi (or ESX paid).

Without the support Linux drivers not VMDK image continues to make sense.
Agreed. In Cluster environments (SAN etc) SCSI is a kind of a must, because IDE over iSCSI is just terrible.  I think having proper support for ESXi is the only path. VMWare Workstation - is not for production enviroment, its for testing enviroments.

th0massin0
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Jun 11, 2016 8:50 pm

If you are interested IN CHR on OVH VPS SSD, here you go:
1. Install any linux distro
2. From OVH control panel boot VPS to rescue mode
3. Type the magic from below :) :
cd /root
curl -O http://download2.mikrotik.com/routeros/6.35.2/chr-6.35.2.img.zip
gunzip -S .zip chr-6.35.2.img.zip

umount /mnt/vdb1
dd if=/root/chr-6.35.2.img of=/dev/vdb
... now reboot from control panel, to escape from rescue mode. Click KVM console, and now you have installed CHR :)

claudionei
just joined

Sat Jul 02, 2016 3:07 pm

Hello Mikrotik Masters.

I would like to suggest a Cloud Hosted Dude Server for free.

Is it possíble to release?

We would love to have, and I think many others will.

I have tested the Dude Server, but the traffic exceeds the limitation proposed of 1 Mbps. I am sure, if it were limitated to 10 Mbps it would run well, at least for us.

Thanks for all and good weekend..

Claudionei F. Mendes
A.K.A Nei
Mikrotik Fan and Network Technician.

syadnom
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Sat Jul 02, 2016 7:42 pm

"I would like to suggest a Cloud Hosted Dude Server for free."

$40 is too much for your could hosted monitoring ?  

vanel86
just joined

Mon Jul 04, 2016 2:58 pm

Hi there,
I am a potential customer, the potential comes from the lack of open-vm-tools. Being unable to gracefully shutdown/restart the vm without logging on is a no-go for me. Once you add that you have a at least a p1 license sold

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support
Topic Author

Mon Jul 04, 2016 3:06 pm

Hi there,
I am a potential customer, the potential comes from the lack of open-vm-tools. Being unable to gracefully shutdown/restart the vm without logging on is a no-go for me. Once you add that you have a at least a p1 license sold
RouterOS does not need graceful shutdown. OK, except maybe if you added some config and need to turn off immediately. 

vanel86
just joined

Mon Jul 04, 2016 3:34 pm

RouterOS does not need graceful shutdown. OK, except maybe if you added some config and need to turn off immediately. 
Is router os running from a read-only filesystem? If it doesn't, there is a real risk about the FS getting corrupted if i "yank the power cord", shutting it down without the agents, everytime i service my host. I understand about keeping the attack surface as slim as possible but adding the open-vm-tools package as an optional pkg shouldn't be much work, the code is opensource(https://github.com/vmware/open-vm-tools) so you just need to compile it.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support
Topic Author

Mon Jul 04, 2016 3:59 pm

I have never seen a FS problem and everyone here is "yanking the cord" for 15 years or so. 

Buster2

Mon Jul 04, 2016 4:06 pm

RouterOS might not need it but the virtualization host totally depends on it. No proper hypervisor will kill a VM when it signals all VM to shutdown normally. Killing a VM, as you suggest, is a totally different action than shutting it down!

syadnom
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Mon Jul 04, 2016 6:07 pm

Yes ^^^^

It's not just about routeroz, it's about what the host expects to see and how the host will behave. No sane vm host will hard kill a vm unless explicitly told to do so

vanel86
just joined

Mon Jul 04, 2016 6:42 pm

I have never seen a FS problem and everyone here is "yanking the cord" for 15 years or so. 
Good to know then, another thing that having the tools adds is the fact that my standalone hosts autoloads a series of vms and having the agents working cuts dramatically the time before the next autostart vms starts(instead of waiting 30 minutes it will instantly startup the next in order). Logically i would load the router before the rest of the stack and adding say 15 to 30 minutes for each reboot is something i would prefer to avoid if i can.

andriys
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Jul 04, 2016 7:02 pm

Just checked the free version of ESXi, it allows to configure shutdown action (with options "Guest Shutdown", "Power Off" and "Suspend" available) and startup and shutdown delays on a per VM basis. I'm pretty sure any decent virtualization platform should allow to set such options as well.

vanel86
just joined

Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:26 am

Just checked the free version of ESXi, it allows to configure shutdown action (with options "Guest Shutdown", "Power Off" and "Suspend" available) and startup and shutdown delays on a per VM basis. I'm pretty sure any decent virtualization platform should allow to set such options as well.
Yeah, the my main issue with the lack of agents is that, without the agents, i will need to have the host wait for the vm delay at every host power up(which is a cool 15 minutes for my homelab) that would be zero if the agents were there
As far as I know only ESXi and hyperv lets you do autostart setup in GUI mode(only VMware lets you set up a priority order), xenserver require quite a bit of cli to do so, horses for courses :)

toxicfusion
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:19 pm

cd /root

umount /mnt/vdb1
This worked like a charm... beautifully!  However, I used another VPS provider ;). Similar concept
Are you able to apply more than one(1) ethernet interface? I only have one(1) by default.  Probably can just create VLAN's if needed...

th0massin0
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:30 pm

cd /root

umount /mnt/vdb1
This worked like a charm... beautifully!  However, I used another VPS provider ;). Similar concept
Are you able to apply more than one(1) ethernet interface? I only have one(1) by default.  Probably can just create VLAN's if needed...
I belive that quantity of ethernet interfaces is provider-depended thing.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support
Topic Author

Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:03 am

When you will do the CHR version for Amazon and Azure please notice that there is not support of remote display and console. The only way to make it accessable is to introduce to network infrastruture and create a real working profile for current routerOS such as Home AP and etc.
Yes there is console screen, but read only. Again, this is Amazon limitation. Interactive console is not available for any OS in Amazon EC2: http://docs.aws.amazon.com/AWSEC2/lates ... nsole.html

[attachment=0]Captura de pantalla 2016-07-26 a las 09.01.56.png[/attachment]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

chrone
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:34 pm

Just tested this out on Proxmox VE 4.2 Linux KVM. Both virtio disk and net work great.

Will there be support for virtio net 10GbE in the future? :)

raffav

Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:40 pm

accessing my account  all my trial license instance was cleared but since i have a p1 paid license
now i cant transfer to a new instance because there is 0 instance on my account page,

(Ticket#2016072766000892)

raffav

Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:44 pm

i am stil waiting for a solution on my case, :(

amit213
just joined

Sun Aug 28, 2016 6:12 am

Hi Normis,

Congratulations to you and your team for a solid product. The CHR on KVM seems to be working nicely so far.

Quick question: Let's say we have 5 powerful bare metal servers spread across continental US. And we have 5 total instances of "CHR + KVM" running on each of those five servers forming a secure IPSec circuit.

Will I need to purchase 5 separate PI-10 licenses to allow those five instances to work normally at 10Gigbit throughput? Or does buying one "PI-10 unlimited" perpetual license allows me to apply it to multiple CHR instances?

Kindly please help advice at the earliest.

-Amit

raffav

Re: RE: Re: Cloud Hosted Router

Sun Aug 28, 2016 4:49 pm

Hi Normis,

Congratulations to you and your team for a solid product. The CHR on KVM seems to be working nicely so far.

Quick question: Let's say we have 5 powerful bare metal servers spread across continental US. And we have 5 total instances of "CHR + KVM" running on each of those five servers forming a secure IPSec circuit.

Will I need to purchase 5 separate PI-10 licenses to allow those five instances to work normally at 10Gigbit throughput? Or does buying one "PI-10 unlimited" perpetual license allows me to apply it to multiple CHR instances?

Kindly please help advice at the earliest.

-Amit
The license as far a I know is for instance, so you need to buy 5 license but you have the possibility to move the license to another instance when needed

Enviado do Moto X Force

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support
Topic Author

Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:36 am

Raffav is right. Each running instance needs it's own license, but once you terminate it, it's license becomes available for some other virtual installation, making migration simple.

amit213
just joined

Tue Aug 30, 2016 12:13 am

Raffav and Normis, thank you for the clarification.

Normis, as far as the ability to move the license around between different CHR instances is concerned: Is this still valid if I were to purchase your CHR PI-10 licenses from a reseller? Does it have to be any special type of PI-10 licenses? Or does buying regular CHR PI-10 in bulk good enough.

Also - What specific steps should we have to follow for moving the currently active license key to a new CHR instance? Let's assume I had licensed CHR running and I just deleted that instance. Now I need to re-purpose that license key to a new CHR instance. The RouterOS does not allow me to change its router identity key.

best

-Amit

raffav

Re: RE: Re: Cloud Hosted Router

Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:41 am

Raffav and Normis, thank you for the clarification.

Normis, as far as the ability to move the license around between different CHR instances is concerned: Is this still valid if I were to purchase your CHR PI-10 licenses from a reseller? Does it have to be any special type of PI-10 licenses? Or does buying regular CHR PI-10 in bulk good enough.

Also - What specific steps should we have to follow for moving the currently active license key to a new CHR instance? Let's assume I had licensed CHR running and I just deleted that instance. Now I need to re-purpose that license key to a new CHR instance. The RouterOS does not allow me to change its router identity key.

best

-Amit
The CHR license I think only is possible to purchase on mikrotik site via your account also there is where you manage your CHR license

Step
Install CHR
go to system license
Select you license type,
upgrade, put you user and password used on mk site

Go to you account on mk site
There is all CHR license
You will see one CHR just added and there will be a upgrade option after you purchase
go back to you CHR
and do a renew after that you CHR is permanent activated

To move to another instance

Just install a new CHR
Put your account information
Go to the site there will be a recent CHR added with a options to transfer
you just need to choose the software I'd and transfer
Go back to CHR and do renew
Done

Edit
I would like to suggest an improvement
The transfer license is a little nasty
Since you need to find the software id,
Would be nice if the system pick the note field as reference only if empty pick software I'd

Enviado do Moto X Force

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support
Topic Author

Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:34 am

Normis, as far as the ability to move the license around between different CHR instances is concerned: Is this still valid if I were to purchase your CHR PI-10 licenses from a reseller?
You can't buy CHR licenses from a reseller. What you can do, is buy a "coupon" (a prepaid key) and then use that to pay for your CHR. But in reality this still means you make your own CHR keys.

Siona
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:25 am

Is it possible to run CHR on qnap NAS server?

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support
Topic Author

Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:50 pm

Please make new topics for each new question, post them in the Virtualisation section of this forum