Community discussions

MikroTik App

mpiovane
just joined
Topic Author

ports dont link after device reboot

Sun Jan 17, 2021 3:15 am

I am going to cut straight to the point. I have a CRS326-24S+2Q+ and the QSFP ports stop working when the connected device reboots. I must physically disconnect and reconnect the cables. I have dealt with this for almost a year now and am just fed up. I searched for updates and noticed that RouterOS had a new version on August 19 2020 that seems to have addressed this exact issue,(crs3xx - fixed QSFP+ interface linking after reboot for CRS326-24S+2Q+) but nothing for SwOS. I have tried resetting and re configuring the switch several times with no luck, just in case someone asks.

Also I am using SwOS not RouterOS as I read the docs and it seems to me like RouterOS is slower than SwOS as it has more unnecessary fluff (for me) to it.

Hear is hoping someone can help.

MP

bsinz
just joined

Re: ports dont link after device reboot

Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:36 am

+1 I have this problem too.

I reboot SwOS via webUI and that usually fixes it.

However there are other issues I find with the QSFP ports... erratic to poor performance. It would be good if someone could help as this appears to be firmware related problem.
CRS326-24S+2Q+RM SwOS v2.12

wpeople

Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:06 pm

Also I am using SwOS not RouterOS as I read the docs and it seems to me like RouterOS is slower than SwOS as it has more unnecessary fluff (for me) to it.
with proper configuration RouterOS do nothing else, just give commands to switch chip, and the data will NOT leave the switch chip.

Badly configured switch will pass packets to CPU instead of handling direction inside chip - and yes, that is slow.

lawe
just joined

Fri Jun 04, 2021 12:42 am

Hi there,

just a "me too" for being affected by this problem. Same switch (CRS326-24S+2Q+) and same observation like the initial poster. Once I power cycle the QSFP+ remote station, there won't get any link connection being established. I can fix this by rebooting the switch but to be honest, I do not really want to do this. I hope upcoming SwOS-2.14 release will fix this.

Kind regards
lawe

lawe
just joined

Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:44 pm

Additional observation: it is not mandatory to reboot the switch in order to get the link connection back. What also helps is to either disable (set the connection to 40G link speed) or enable auto-negotiation at the corresponding QSFP+ port.

I've filed a support ticket but got no reply yet.

lawe
just joined

Wed Aug 11, 2021 2:56 pm

Out of curiosity, what NIC(s) do you connect to your QSFP+ port(s) at the switch?

I have that problem with two Intel XL710-QDA2 cards where even flashing the latest firmware (8.40 at the time of this writing) onto the NICs did not fix the issue.

JunoBox
just joined

Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:14 pm

I've this issue also, but then with SFP+ (not QSFP+) connections. Only options to get the link working again is restart the switch, or by removing the fiber cable AND SFP+ module and reinsert it and connect the fiber again.
As the switch and the connected device (Mikrotik edge firewall) is remotely located at a huge distance (>1000km), it is really difficult to get it physically remove the SFP+ module from the switch. Switch will be not reachable when the firewall is rebooted, so restarting the switch is then also not possible.
I still hope Mikrotik will going to fix this issue asap! But I'm already waiting for two years already to get this fixed. I'm doubt they have the focus on the SwitchOS. When the next version still does not fix this issue, we are going to replace all Mikrotik devices.

daver979
just joined

Wed Feb 16, 2022 1:00 am

Hi,

Problem still happens despite upgrade to new SWOS.

Whats going on - its a huge issue here.

Regards Dave

SnakeHanau
just joined

Tue Mar 01, 2022 7:10 pm

I got the same Problem with my CRS326-24S+2Q+ and the QSFP+ Module (FS.COM)...every time when I Reboot or power cycle my Server witch uses thes 40G connection it does not come up.
Eject module and reinsert...works - This is not a solution!

I'm useing SWOS 2.13
And the Card in the Server is a HP 544+ (Mellanox ConnectX-3)

lawe
just joined

Tue Apr 19, 2022 2:41 pm

I’ve flashed the latest Intel firmware (i40e; fw 8.5.67516 api 1.15 nvm 8.50 0x8000b6c7 1.3082.0) on my XL710-QDA2 NIC but problem still persists.

Another observation I’ve made is that in order to get the link connection back, unplugging and replugging the QSFP+ cable at the remote device does not help. But un/replugging the cable at the switch side does help to regain link connection.

I'm very disappointed about the lack of communication from Mikrotik. Dealing with this issue ever since I bought the CRS326-24S+2Q+RM with no hope of getting a fix is very frustrating. I'm even considering buying a switch from a different vendor in order to get this issue resolved.

lawe
just joined

Thu Apr 28, 2022 11:31 am

Mikrotik finally replied to the ticket I had filed back in 2021. It seems they were able to reproduce the issue in their labs and have prepared a fix for the next SwOS release which is unknown to when it will be released. They also mentioned that this issue does not happen in recent RouterOS releases. Unfortunately, using RouterOS on my switch is not an option so I will wait for the new SwOS release and hope it will not take too long.

daver979
just joined

Mon May 16, 2022 2:24 pm

hallelujah!!

Arcanum
just joined

Thu Jan 18, 2024 10:55 pm

Another me too... So I guess that update never saw the light of day? Because the last SwOS version 2.13 that i am running came out before the last comment on here so.

I just relized after a year in production because nothing was ever rebooted but ended up with a firewall that can't talk to a switch because the firewall got rebooted for an upgrade...

This is unphathomable, especially if they reproduced it. Anyone got any hints for me?

lawe
just joined

Fri Jan 19, 2024 10:56 am

Another me too... So I guess that update never saw the light of day? Because the last SwOS version 2.13 that i am running came out before the last comment on here so.

I just relized after a year in production because nothing was ever rebooted but ended up with a firewall that can't talk to a switch because the firewall got rebooted for an upgrade...

This is unphathomable, especially if they reproduced it. Anyone got any hints for me?
If you desperately need that fix, the only option right now is to file a support ticket and kindly ask for a beta SwOS version that contains the fix. Dunno why Mikrotik refuses to roll out new SwOS releases and to be honest, I have no big motivation to raise this topic over and over again because the only reply you get here is that RouterOS is so much better anyway.