Community discussions

MikroTik App

Tobei
Topic Author

POE Issuses with the RB260GSP

Sun Sep 11, 2016 3:52 pm

Hi,

I bought a RB260GSP Switch for powering two wAP and a KNX to Ethernet Gateway. When I configured the hardware on my desk, I was able the power the wAP with a short (1-2m) Ethernet Cable. At the customer site nothing worked as expected.

Situation:

1m Patch Cable (Cat. 5e) <--> 40m Cable (Cat. 7) <--> 1m Patch Cable

The old switch (D-Link DES-1008P) was able to power up the devices with the same cables without any problem. The MikroTik switch was also not able to power a KNX Gateway on a 20m Cat. 5e cable. I tried different configurations of the switch (set manual POE on ...), but this changed nothing.

So my questions is: Is the MikroTik switch not the best candidate for POE or is my exemplar maybe defect?

Greeting Tobias

stpq
just joined

Re: POE Issuses with the RB260GSP

Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:01 pm

i would check the "Port1 PoE In Long Cable" option on system tab. What is the status of the port?

I use them for POE a lot, daisy chaining them, running them both from poe and from PSU, powering various devices and there are glitches occasionally. Like if u connect 4 POE Ubiquiti NanoBeams, then poe flips out every now and then. (had to replace them with just normal injectors) I almost have a feeling that there are few versions of the hardware of RB260GSP, cos with newer bought hardware i have less problems on POE.