Topic Author

VLAN and VLANs tab conflict?

Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:40 pm

Hi, how does the Mikrotik RB260GSP switch solve the following conflict:

VLAN tab:
vlan.png
VLANs tab:
vlans.png
I don't understand the connection between port 4 egress on VLAN tab, and port 4 egress on VLANs tab. How can they both work at the same time? Which one has priority? Does this behavior change if vlan type is "optional" or "enabled" or "strict?"
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

k6ccc
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: VLAN and VLANs tab conflict?

Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:44 pm

Suggestion, try reading the manual on the Wiki before asking questions. At least TRY to find the answer yourself. Took me about 10 seconds to find this about the VLANs tab settings:
Each port has individual VLAN header options for each VLAN ID. Depending on VLAN mode if lookup is done in this table, egress action of packets is processed by this option. Egress option from VLAN tab is ignored.
And here is the manual that you could not be bothered to look up:
https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/SwOS/RB250_RB260

hoftel
just joined
Topic Author

Re: VLAN and VLANs tab conflict?

Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:21 pm

Sorry, I was very confused when I made the post. Of course I looked at the wiki but everything was not very clear to me.

The original problem I tried to describe and solve was some strange loop that appeared when I plugged a factory reset HAP into port 4. If this port was set to "optional", had vlan id that was not 1, and had the tag set to "leave as is", the switch did not accept the device. On the RSTP tab the port kept changing from "edge" to "point to point". Some kind of loop probably, but what exactly was going on?

I fixed it by putting the tag to "always strip". A factory reset HAP cannot understand vlan tags, of course... Still, I don't get exactly why the switch went crazy, and I want to know.

Thanks.