Community discussions

MikroTik App

Alestrix
Topic Author

Info: CSS326 and Ubiquiti UF-MM-10G SFP+ module working

Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:32 am

Hello Community!

The CSS326 is the lowest priced SFP+ capable switch I know of and the UF-MM-10G the lowest priced 10G transceiver I could find, thus for a home setup like mine this seems to be a dream team. I searched for compatibility info about that combination before I bought the modules but didn't find anything, so I just went for it.
In the hopes that this info might be of use to someone else but me: The above mentioned SFP+ module shows up fine in CSS326's SFP and SFP Status tabs (SwOS 2.4).

I don't want to hide the fact that I am currently having issues with the speed (iperf3 measures ~2Gbps one way and ~5Gbps the other) but I am pretty sure this is caused by the wretched state of my fibre optic cable which has various sharp kinks after being brutally inserted and again pulled out of an empty tube across three floors (looking at the cable I'm surprised the link works at all). A new cable is in the mail and I will update this post as soon as I was able to redo the test with the new fiber.

There's one thing though (apart from the miserable cable) that makes me wonder whether my setup is "healthy": The switch constantly runs at 61°C and the SFP+ module at 49°C (my rack temperature is ~24°C). Both values are within the operating temperatures listed in the respective data sheets, but they still seem rather high to me.

Cheers
Alex

bajodel
Long time Member
Long time Member

Re: Info: CSS326 and Ubiquiti UF-MM-10G SFP+ module working

Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:30 am

..CUT.. The switch constantly runs at 61°C and the SFP+ module at 49°C (my rack temperature is ~24°C)
They seem ok, also my CRS326 lives at that temperature. I agree that it's probably a little higher than previous crs models but the architecture is different.

yngndrw
just joined

Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:31 am

The Cisco SFP-10G-SR transceivers are the lowest priced ones that I could find. (Genuine Cisco for ~£20 used on Ebay, or clone for ~£12 here: http://www.fs.com/products/11552.html)

I have genuine Cisco ones and haven't received my network cards to fully test with yet, but the switch detects the transceivers with no issues. (They are also running at 50C)

Melody5781

Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:51 am

Yeah, just have same experience with you. FS.COM was recommended by someone on the Reddit, I bought several HP compatible SFP modules from there. Until now, they work perfect on my switch. I just found an online store with the cheapest module but high quality. http://www.fs.com/c/hp-1000base-sfp-94

Alestrix
Topic Author

Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:46 pm

The FS.com ones are truely cheap. Though in my case, if you add VAT and shipping to Germany they cost more than the ones from Ubiquiti.