Community discussions

MikroTik App

EugeneD
just joined
Topic Author

VLANS on CRS317-1G-16S+

Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:30 am

Good day

I am running SwitchOS 2.7 on a CRS317-1G-16S+.
I need to find out who would I configure multiple VLANS on a Interface.

The Scenario is.

I have a singe Interface that is connected to a peering provider, but on that one interface I will be receiving multiple VLANS I need to then switch that VLAN traffic down another interface
that I have connected to a CHR.

Interface1 incomming receiving multiple VLANS
Interface16 sending all the traffic to a CHR

Or will it be better to Switch the Device over to RouterOS.
But then how would I then configure it in RouterOS.

Please note I have never done VLAN configurations but do understand how it works.
Any Advice will be appreciated.

sri2007
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: VLANS on CRS317-1G-16S+

Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:48 pm

Hi!! I don't recommend to move into RouterOS, because its probable that you'll experiment some issues regarding to a high CPU usage with high levels of traffic, the best way to do this is in a SWoS version, and you can configure any VLAN in the vlans tab, you can see this link in order to get more information about how to configure VLANs per port: https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/SwOS/CSS ... _and_VLANs

JimmyNyholm
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:37 pm

There is no problem with RouterOs in current version 6.41 as far as I know.

I have 20 of them in production
and 3 more in a labb doing P switching mpls in hardware on L3 only interfaces.

Never se any cpu hit on it as long as you only do stuff that is currenty supported att the hardware offload (switch chip) level. Once you are in software the cpu's in the boxes is way to weak.

In your use case. RouterOS 6.41 new bridge implementation. create one bride enable ports they gets hardware offloaded and create vlans and assign wich ports in bridge is member to witch vlan just as you would do with any switch. the routeros os is named bridge as port in that manner and you assign routeros's connection in the L2 fabric by assigning bridge taged or untaged to vlan's.
After that you may create vlan interface in router os to receive the traffic from bridge to routeros for some processing in cpu (BEWARE THIS IS SLOW)

So using the switch to switch is fine. Even L3 routinng and ospf and mpls P switch is fine (in hardware) in my lab.

sri2007
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:46 pm

There is no problem with RouterOs in current version 6.41 as far as I know.

Never se any cpu hit on it as long as you only do stuff that is currenty supported att the hardware offload (switch chip) level. Once you are in software the cpu's in the boxes is way to weak.

In your use case. RouterOS 6.41 new bridge implementation. create one bride enable ports they gets hardware offloaded and create vlans and assign wich ports in bridge is member to witch vlan just as you would do with any switch. the routeros os is named bridge as port in that manner and you assign routeros's connection in the L2 fabric by assigning bridge taged or untaged to vlan's.
After that you may create vlan interface in router os to receive the traffic from bridge to routeros for some processing in cpu (BEWARE THIS IS SLOW)
Cool, it seems that the new firmware it's a much better one, just a quick important thing, do not forget to enable the hardware offloading and configure those VLANs in switch mode.
https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:S ... Offloading