Community discussions

MikroTik App

vbhatnag
just joined
Topic Author

Problem testing maximum data rate on two pair (station-AP) using one PC and cloud router switch: one perturbate other

Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:24 am

Hello everyone,

I have a set-up of 12 RB911-5Hn modems with routerOS 6.39 MISPBE -> 6 station-bridge and 6 access point (AP) connected to a cloud router switch CRS226-24G-2S+RM (6.39 routerOS ). Everyone is controlled, configured by a host PC connected to the router switch (winbox, the dude client SNMP)

The configuration of modem is as follows:

6 MIKROTIK are configured as station bridge-nv2 protocol, ceee 20/40/80mhz, 23mcs fixed data rate, tx-power 10dbm, each of them has 5ghz frequency with 80 mhz difference. Each of them has different SSID.

6 MIKROTIK are configured as bridge-ap (AP) nv2 protocol, ceee 20/40/80mhz, 23mcs fixed data rate, each of them similar frequency and ssid to its station.

They are connected to cloud router switch CRS226-24G-2S+RM with dude server installed in to it for monitoring purpose.

One host pc is also connected to switch with dude client and winbox.

The switch is not configured it works as it is.

PC has an ip address xx.xx.88.100, switch has an ip address xx.xx.88.1, and modems has ip address on the same range starting from 201 station1 -202 AP1, 203 station2 - 204 AP2, etc.

Once I start everyone, the create a wireless link between each other quickly with a good strenght as all the LEDs are on.

Now the idea is to test the maximum throughput between all station-bridge pairs using TRAFFIC GENERATOR tool of routerOS (6.39 bugfixed) and create a statistics using the dude client on daily basis (BER, FER, PER etc)

Problem:

When I start traffic generator for first station-AP pair, I achieve for example 50MBPS traffic with out any problem.
But when I start traffic generator for another staion-AP pair for the same MBPS, it does not work it looses many packets.
However, for 10MBPS both of them work but the second one is always perturbation.

Why I can not test all the devices simultaneously?
Where the data is generated for each devices? Is it the PC that generates, hence it is unable to handle two stream generation?

Can someone tell me the maximum throughput I can achieve using RB911-5Hn with 23 mcs?

Any help will be appreciated,

Many thanks in advance.

regards,

skylark
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: Problem testing maximum data rate on two pair (station-AP) using one PC and cloud router switch: one perturbate othe

Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:05 pm

Hi,

You should test through device, not from it. For example:
TestingMachine1 -> CRS226 -> WirelessAP -> TestingMachine2
Running tests from device which you are testing is not quite right. Traffic-Generator and Bandwidth-test use lot of CPU resources and then throughput results is not good, because of CPU overload.

vbhatnag
just joined
Topic Author

Re: Problem testing maximum data rate on two pair (station-AP) using one PC and cloud router switch: one perturbate othe

Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:06 pm

Thanks for your comment.

Do you mean I need to test with iperf or other traffic generator?
Actually, when I do using SNMP, I see the activity tx/rx in the bandwidth test windows over UDP...but on wireless window in winbox I see nothing.

Using iperf on command line UDP connection does not work for client side.

In station config: there is a bridge created for eth and wlan, but the IP address is configured only for wlan.
On the AP side: bridge creation is same but the IP address is configured only for bridge.

I am following the mikrotik slide over traffic generator to test wireless link case 4 page 69-74:
https://mum.mikrotik.com//presentations ... 963921.pdf

Thanks a lot again.

vbhatnag
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:56 am

Is it necessary to assign a separate IP address to wlan interface then eth for each of the modem to test the traffic generator successfully between station-bridge and access point?

Can somebody help me or this forum is completely useless?