Community discussions

MikroTik App

Cantabrigian
just joined
Topic Author

Question re: a pair of CSS326-24G-2S+RM's

Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:55 am

I recently installed a pair of these switches at a pre-school, upgraded them to 2.7, and have stability issues on one of them.

Previously, the school was served with un-managed Netgear GS116's, which worked w/o issues for years. Only when the first one failed due to a bad electrolytic capacitor did I decide to upgrade the entire switching infrastructure. The network has a combined router/modem from Comcast that handles DHCP, NAT, and so on. Said router is attached to a port on the first switch, the second switch connects via ethernet to the first switch. Both switches have different, fixed IP addresses outside the DHCP space. The switch connected to the router has been solid, the second on locks up every two days or so; which necessitates reboots.

The reason I got these Mikrotik switches in the first place (instead of just repairing the broken GS116 and inspecting the other ones) was the future potential to link them via fiber optics in the future to allow for a faster trunk. Not sure that will ever need to happen (especially if the school keeps transitioning towards cloud-based solutions) but I wanted the potential. I am wondering why this switch is having difficulties when the unmanaged switches from Netgear did not.
  • Would the presence (but non-use) of a 10GBe-SR SFP+ module have an effect on unit stability? I can pull them from the units for now and see if that improves things.
  • What else would you suggest as trouble-shooting steps?
  • Are there good ways to tickle out what caused the unit to lock up? I can't seem to find an error log.

Cantabrigian
just joined
Topic Author

Re: Question re: a pair of CSS326-24G-2S+RM's

Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:29 am

OK, tried contacting tech support at Mikrotik, which then turns around and asks me to contact tech support at the reseller. So I did that... and you can likely imagine how successful tech support at Amazon was resolving an issue in a non-performing Mikrotik switch.

So, the unit is getting returned and I'm buying a replacement. Not sure how this is more cost effective for Mikrotik and its resellers than resolving the issue.. but it's not up to me to run their businesses.

Not sure what they'll be able to do with the return other than try and resell it again. Plus, what if the issue is a swOS software defect?