Community discussions

MikroTik App

port9nka
just joined
Topic Author

RB250GS swos last version

Thu May 03, 2018 11:02 am

Hello!

Can't find clear information about what last SwoS version, that this device (RB250gs) could support.
As i understood - version 2.7 for new RB260GS(CSS106-5G-1S) is not appliable.
Where to download previous firmware? https://mikrotik.com/download/archive has only RouterOS versions, not SwOS

Thanks.

honzam
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: RB250GS swos last version

Thu May 03, 2018 12:38 pm

I have the same problem

port9nka
just joined
Topic Author

Mon May 07, 2018 2:33 am

Let me up this topic, cos no answer recieved,

Samot
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon May 07, 2018 3:05 am

You shouldn't be looking in the archive for current software. Current software is at http://mikrotik.com/downloads

version 2.7 for new RB260GS(CSS106-5G-1S), new RB260GSP(CSS106-1G-4P-1S) <-- That's the version you're looking for.

TSimmonsHJ
just joined

Tue May 08, 2018 12:34 am

260 code doesn't work on the 250gs. We're looking for the last supported code version for the 250gs.

Samot
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue May 08, 2018 4:15 pm

The RB250GS is End of Life this is probably why the new 2.7 doesn't work. I don't think EOL devices get tested with newer releases of software.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue May 08, 2018 4:26 pm

I think the reason the newest code does not work is not that the device is end of life or it is not tested anymore, but because the
newer code only runs on devices with more memory.
However, the archive should still have the latest code that runs on the 250 and first-model 260, i.e. the 1.x series, for those
that were not in time to update their firmware before the device went EOL.
I think MikroTik should add a corner for old firmware for EOL devices.

That being said, there is probably nothing you will gain by updating the software. The issues fixed in the latest updates were
nothing more than some extensions of length limitations of fields like interface name, not the addition of exciting new functionality
you now have to miss. They were very limited devices and it will always be like that. When you want something these devices
cannot do using the firmware you have on them now, you will probably have to replace them.

Samot
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed May 30, 2018 5:30 pm

There should always be a time frame in which software (alone or for a device) or the firmware for EOL devices/programs should no longer be available. Users need to be forced sometimes to upgrade to something supported and relevant. I'll give you an example (not Mikrotik but same type of case)

User comes into IRC channel says the system they are running a 10 year old version of the software died and it was urgent it come back up. My suggestion: Get the latest and spend the time fixing things to be current. Instead they spent 24 hours looking around for that 10 year old software and when they couldn't find it they used the EIGHT year old version and spent another 24 hours making that work. So now they are back up but still on eight year old, EOL'd software that is known to have bugs and security holes that are not fixed because, new versions. With no plans to upgrade because, hey the problem is now fixed.

No company should or really wants to support old software and hardware at a certain point. It means that time and resources have to be spent on it not to mention it requires *new* people to learn and retain knowledge of old stuff that isn't really needed anymore. Honestly, to me it also lets people become complacent in running out of date stuff because they can. Also, when someone announces they have been compromised and need help cleaning it up the first reaction by those helping is generally "Well why are you on EOL versions of this that are known to have this exact issue?" or "You know this was fixed in X release, why didn't you just upgrade then?".

The excuses of "My setup is complicated/highly customized/etc/etc/etc" just means (to me) you designed yourself into a corner with no roadmap or eyes on the future for changes, updates, etc.

Buckeye
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:39 am

The last version for the RB250GS was 1.17 and can still be downloaded at the following URL

https://mikrotik.com/download scroll to bottom where SwitchOS sofware is listed

https://download2.mikrotik.com/swos/1.1 ... 0-1.17.lzb