Community discussions

MikroTik App

nikhilk12
just joined
Topic Author

CSS326-24G-2S+ VLAN Trunk to anotother CSS326-24G-2S+ Switch?

Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:26 am

Hi all,

Hoping someone could help me out and i'm sure it's a simple solution...

I have a Ubiquiti USG as my router/firewall and have set up a few VLANs. VLAN 124 (192.168.124.1) & 126 (192.168.126.1) & can happily pass through VLANs on specific ports etc & trunking is working as expected on the first switch.

Now, I have the USG plugged into a Mikrotik CSS326-24G-2S+ switch and works very well. I also have another CSS326-24G-2S+ switch placed in a different location that is connected to the first switch that I would like to pass VLANs through on specific ports.

I have tried many different configurations in the SwOS GUI but cannot get it to work. I have followed multiple guides that show how it is done but all have failed me to get it set up, but it just cannot seem to pass the VLAN through to the second switch.

1) Is this possible as I read the VLAN trunk coming from the router has to be VLAN 1. (This is not possible in the USG as it does not allow you)
2) If 1 = true is there any another workaround?
3) If 1 != true is there a recommended way to configure this?

Many thanks & any feedback is much appreciated.

Nikhil

nikhilk12
just joined
Topic Author

Re: CSS326-24G-2S+ VLAN Trunk to anotother CSS326-24G-2S+ Switch?

Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:16 am

Hi,

I managed to get this to work, and can now successfully connect to my VLAN. Since there is no guides that I could find for the latest SwOS v2.x and all for the older GUI, I have screen shot my config for others to follow.

Virgin Media ISP -> USG (Trunk VLAN 124) -> Mikrotik Switch -> Mikrotik Switch -> ESXi host

This is my first switch under the VLAN tab...
Port 1 is my trunk port coming from the USG router and port 3 is is going to the second Microtik switch...
I have set the 'VLAN Mode' to 'Enabled' on port 3...

Moving over to the first switch VLANs tab.
Since I am trying to trunk VLAN 124 to my second switch I have created a "VLANs port group".
I entered the VLAD ID of 124 and selected port 1 (trunk port and port 3 which is my second switch...

On my second switch under the VLAN tab I am setting my access port to port 10...

Finally on the second switch under the VLANs tab I set VLAN 1 as being the default VLAN and 124 the VLAN I want to trunk to port 10...

This is currently working as I need and I'm sure I could do this in another way. I will play around with it a bit more to see if I can get it working in other ways but logically the above config makes sense.

Any comments welcome.

Many thanks

Nikhil