Community discussions

MikroTik App

NomadCF
just joined
Topic Author

Website download for CRS 2.8 links to CSS

Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:56 pm

Okay Now we're confused, we double checked the download link on https://mikrotik.com/download and the link for "version 2.8 for CRS328-24P-4S+" links to the https://download2.mikrotik.com/swos2/cs ... 8p-2.8.bin CSS version ? Not sure if this is a fluke for not. But since the upgrade 2.8 the IP address of the switch isn't reachable in any form.

How do we recover or gain access to the GUI , we've already tried rebooting the switch.

k6ccc
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Website download for CRS 2.8 links to CSS

Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:35 am

For your first part, I would assume that since you are looking for SwitchOS and not RouterOS, you should be getting the same SwitchOS as the CSS. That is the case with the CRS326, so I'm guessing it's the same with the CRS328.

For your second part, depending on what version you upgraded from, very likely that the switch got a DHCP address. Check your DHCP server to see what addresses it has issued. Once you have access to the switch, you can change it to static if desired.

karwos
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:10 pm

Okay Now we're confused, we double checked the download link on https://mikrotik.com/download and the link for "version 2.8 for CRS328-24P-4S+" links to the https://download2.mikrotik.com/swos2/cs ... 8p-2.8.bin CSS version ? Not sure if this is a fluke for not. But since the upgrade 2.8 the IP address of the switch isn't reachable in any form.

How do we recover or gain access to the GUI , we've already tried rebooting the switch.
After upgrade to v2.8, switch goes from "static IP" to "DHCP with fallback", - looks like a bug.
so put DHCP server on top of swtich and use that dynamic assigned IP to back to Static IP

NomadCF
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:48 am

Thanks for the replies, we fixed it by doing a full reset/reload on one of switches by booting into routeros and reconfiguring it (we don't run dhcp servers in our first stage testing labs) and using a console cable to reset the other. Over all we're very disappointed in these switches. Both from the lack of any decent response from support themselves (via email) on this topic or on our issues with our 10G links ( overruns, packet loss, etc ). We've tested countless switches makes and models, cheap to expensive. And these have to be some of the worst things we've. And we've played with quite a few chinese al-cheapo switches.

I mean why bother even having a routeros when it can't really handle the load of some of even it's most basic functions without maxing out cpu and creating a huge bottle neck. I mean we switched it swos purely from fact that using just the 1G connections we where over loading the switch with just (again) basic traffic.But even in swos these switches are horrific, no fan controls, wrong fan stats and temp readings, 10G connections issues all around, etc. Honestly we were surprised we didn't max out the cpu with traffic while in the swos as well. I'm not sure who actually uses these switches with out an issue. But I can't imagine its any one who has plugged it in. We've even reached out the to a few of the company's what claim to use them in mass (like in africa) and after a few correspondences. we found that they only use the mikrotik switches as their last nodes due to the switches lower cost of replacement from theft and high error ratio from there lines. Aka the switches are throwaways.

Looking at all these we wish we'd reached out to others before even buying these two for testing. They've now been donated to a networking class for use on how to diagnose connection/hardware issues (no joke).

k6ccc
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:18 am

Well, I for one am quite happy with my two CSS326-24G-2S and also the CRS326-24G-2S (running SwitchOS). I have not found any way in SwitchOS to determine the CPU load, so I can't tell you how much I'm loading them. Reality is likely not all that much. This is at my house and then also a MicroWave path to a radio site a few miles away.