Community discussions

denningsrogue
just joined
Topic Author

CRS328-24P 4S+ -- throughput problems

Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:37 am

I have a CR328-24P-4S+ running SwOS (the "Switch") in my rack to provide 10 Gbe networking between the servers in my rack. A TrueNAS storage server is in place with sfp+ networking. A virtualization server with sfp+ networking will be added in 3 weeks. The plan is to have the 2 servers speaking with each other at 10 Gbe. Both servers will be connected to the Switch. The Switch is connected to a Netgate XG-7100 (the "Router") using its sfp+ port. When I run an iperf3 test from the server, through the Switch, to the Router I am seeing transfer rates at about 1.2Gbps. If I connect the TrueNAS directly to the Router with sfp+ , the transfer rate increases to 2.2 Gbps. In either case, disappointing, Can anyone give me a suggestion as to why the transfer rate is cut in half when passing through the Switch? The Switch is configured as a vanilla switch -- no vlans no nothing.

Paternot
Long time Member
Long time Member

Re: CRS328-24P 4S+ -- throughput problems

Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:51 am

I have one of this switches too - there is a known problem, with it and SwOS. Mikrotik is aware, and said it will be addressed in future releases.

I believe this thread will help You:
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=139155

There is one solution: run RoS, instead of SwOS. I know, I know: disappointing. Yes, it is. But it's better than not getting 10Gbps.

denningsrogue
just joined
Topic Author

Re: CRS328-24P 4S+ -- throughput problems

Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:20 am

Agreed that SwOS is an entomologist's delight, but I get the same throughput using RoS.