Community discussions

MikroTik App

just joined
Topic Author

CSS326-24G-2S+RM can't access web GUI - what am I doing wrong?

Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:38 pm

Hello all, I'm a bit confused and can't figure this out.

I just received this switch a few days ago. Documentation says go to 192.168.88.1 to open the web gui on this switch. I tried it using firefox, chrome, safari on a mac, firefox on linux, and ie and firefox on windows 10. Nothing ever happens. I repeated these steps when manually changing the ip of the computer attempting to access the web gui to 192.168.88.2 and same result. I can not get any response to ping although when on a mac, if i set the static ip to 192.168.88.1 it tells me another device has this ip already. I also downloaded winbox and it could not find anything by ip. I've tried multiple ports include port 1. I have also tried the reset procedure with the same results.

Initially I thought I had a bad switch so Amazon sent me a new one, but it produced the same inability to connect to the web gui.

What am I doing wrong? Any assistance would be appreciated! Thanks!

CVXDEV
just joined

Re: CSS326-24G-2S+RM can't access web GUI - what am I doing wrong?

Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:13 pm

Hi all,
just to jump as well on this post - i have the same issue (with another Router/Switch though) but same problem:
WinBox can't find the Switch and also no Browser can log in (192.168.88.1 nor .2)
I was logged in initially into the switch via WinBox and MAC-Address (RouterOS) but changed the bootup to SwOS - what could that be?
(Model is CRS328-24P-4S+RM)

Cheers

just joined
Topic Author

Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:42 pm

---update---

After emailing support, they informed me that the switch, when placed in a network with a DHCP server will request a new ip and operate on that ip. So first, it would be great to know that in the documentation received with the switch and/or online, but regardless it does not work.
Jan 9 13:06:32 	dhcpd 		DHCPOFFER on 192.168.1.244 to b8:69:f4:5e:d5:de (MikroTik) via igb0
Jan 9 13:06:34 	dhcpd 		DHCPDISCOVER from b8:69:f4:5e:d5:de (MikroTik) via igb0
Jan 9 13:06:34 	dhcpd 		DHCPOFFER on 192.168.1.244 to b8:69:f4:5e:d5:de (MikroTik) via igb0
Jan 9 13:06:41 	dhcpd 		DHCPDISCOVER from b8:69:f4:5e:d5:de (MikroTik) via igb0
Jan 9 13:06:41 	dhcpd 		DHCPOFFER on 192.168.1.244 to b8:69:f4:5e:d5:de (MikroTik) via igb0
Digging into my dhcp logs, the switch never responds to the dhcpoffer. And removing the switch off the network and resetting, which should keep the switch on the default ip of 192.168.88.1, results in the same lack of web gui.

When in the back in the network, upon booting, it pops up very briefly in the ARP with that ip from above associated with it, but no mac address. DHCP logs show same offer scenario. Pinging the IP does nothing since the switch never makes the request to the dhcpoffer.

Perhaps I got 2 bad switches in a row? My guess is the lack of responses on here means no one has any idea why it's acting this way.

pcunite
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:53 pm

Perhaps I got 2 bad switches in a row? My guess is the lack of responses on here means no one has any idea why it's acting this way.

Your switch is fine. Here is what you need to do:

• Turn the power on the switch, connect it to nothing
  • Plug a computer into one of its ports
  • Run Winbox, and then click the Neighbors tab.
  • Connect to the switch using it's MAC address only. The username is admin, and the password field should be left blank.

just joined
Topic Author

Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:34 am

• Connect to the switch using it's MAC address only. The username is admin, and the password field should be left blank.
The support representative told "CSS326-24G-2S+RM is using SwOS, so you cannot connect to the device via Winbox." But he also told me to connect to it via serial cable but there is no serial port.... but I will try your suggestion, thank you for replying!

just joined
Topic Author

Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:06 am

It shows up in winbox, running software 2.7 and with the default ip. Connecting via Mac address gives an error. For fun, I tried via ip since I was already there, and all it did was open a browser tab that never loaded.

pcunite
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:14 am

It shows up in winbox, running software 2.7 and with the default ip. Connecting via Mac address gives an error. For fun, I tried via ip since I was already there, and all it did was open a browser tab that never loaded.

Ahhh, so sorry. You have a CSS switch. My bad ... I'm only familiar with the RouterOS versions. That is why you're having so much trouble. Okay ... hmm, you will need to use a web browser. I have never used SwOS.

Okay, Here is another attempt. You should still have the switch and your PC off the network, just connected to each other. However, now you must set everything in your PC. So, if on Windows, you'll set a static IP on your PC, 192.168.88.10, set the default gateway to 192.168.88.1, and then you should be able to get into the switch which is at http://192.168.88.1.

Please report your success.

Paternot
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:55 am

The switch will try to get an IP from DHCP. Failing this, it will revert to 192.168.<don't remember>

So. If you have a DHCP server on your network? If yes, can you browse the leases table? Cross check it with your switch MAC address, and use this IP.

Failing this (well, Murphy rules), try the default address (192.168<don't remember>).

But there is a catch: Imagine (just for shits and giggles) your switch would listen on 192.168.0.1. Your computer MUST have one IP from the 192.168.0.x range - otherwise it will send the packet to your gateway.

You don't even have to bother about DNS and gateway. Just add a second address, to your NIC, and of you go.

just joined
Topic Author

Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:12 am

, set the default gateway to 192.168.88.1, and then you should be able to get into the switch which is at http://192.168.88.1.

Please report your success.
For anyone else who finds their way here, this is the solution. It appears the 2.7 firmware that shipped/ships on both switches is faulty in terms of acquiring a dhcp lease. After changing the gateway to that of the default switch, web GUI access was possible. After updating to 2.9 firmware, the switch rebooted and acquired dhcp license as expected.

Thank you pcunite for this suggestion. I haven’t had to reset a gateway for similarly factory configured switches before and it hadn’t occurred to me to do so. and nowhere in the one page of included instructions or any “manual” for the switch onlnne does it list this as a requirement, amd was not included in the tech support recommendations about how to access the switch.

Very much appreciated

Matsu
just joined

Tue May 21, 2019 6:22 pm

I confirm - I had the same problem and it was enough to update the firmware to version 2.9. Thank you for your help.

intermod

Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:31 am

Alas - the switch is still shipping with V2.9 (11-25-19), and the default IP address is not 192.168.88.1. After reviewing the MT Wiki, one graphic indicated that it tries DHCP for the first 10 seconds, then falls back to the 88.1. Wrong; its half the story. You can let the switch sit powered up for a long time, then connect it to a network with DHCP, and it will still grab an address. Maybe an isolated direct connection into it from a PC might allow access at 88.1 after 10 seconds - I did not try this.

While their free Winbox admin app cannot be used to administer the switch, one poster above indicated Winbox could be used to see what the DHCP assignment is quickly. This works. Open Winbox and use the Neighbors tab (not the Managed tab) to view the MAC addresses of all the MT devices in your network. IP address will be there.
Capture.JPG

I will update Switch to 2.10 - wonder if this has the same issue.....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.