Community discussions

MikroTik App

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

RB260GS Software Manual Example Errors (maybe)

Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:03 pm

https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/SwOS/SWO ... woSwitches

The example document may contain errors as described below. I reserve the right to be wrong.

1. Switch1 diagram.
a. Why does Port 1 Itrunk) have VLAN HEADER, 'add if missing', but Port 5 (trunk port) have VLAN HEADER 'leave as is" ??
One would think that they should have the same setting??
Okay I missed the point that this is an egress setting.... with that in mind! All traffic going out of this switch port 1 to the router would add vlan tag of 1 for any traffic that does not have vlantags? Since all traffic will have already an appropriate vlan tag not sure why this is set. Leave as is makes more sense to me?? Similarly all the traffic going out of port 5 to the second switch will either be tagged with the appropriate vlan traffic or have vlanid1.
I understand that on ingress "enabled" means all traffic with vlans in the table are good to go and all packets without any tags are handled as vlan1 and "strict" narrows it down to stating that vlan is also specifically identified for ingress on that port (not just an entry in the vlan table).
(Further refined by vlan receive)

I note the other ports on EGRESS have STRIP (so this assumes access port functionality and is similar to setting a port with a PVID, tags incoming packets from the device with pvid assigned and removes then when departing the port towards the device.

2. THE VLANS tab which seems like a unique setting compared to normal switches. Normally we assign port as tagged or untagged but this is more like what vlan are you part of.
In any case the first diagram looks consistent but its not for the GS model.
260GS Switch 1 Diagram (third S1 diagram on page)
a. Why does Port1 (Trunk) have all settings as "LEAVE AS IS" whereas Port5 (Trunk) have all setting as "NOT A MEMBER"
Again I believe they should be identical (leave as is) as both being trunk ports ostensibly carrying the same vlans etc.........
Just to note to me this is not tagging or untagging ports but simply saying which ports should carry these vlans..........

OKAY, just realized that the VLANS table is redundant. Its another way of controlling EGRESS activity of packets.
Not sure why it even exists????
Okay the value seems to be simply ensuring that we identify which ports are NOT MEMBERS of a VLAN which support for example the strict setting above.
Leave as is=checkmark, not a member = no checkmark

3. SWITCH 2 VLAN TAB.
a. Port 2 is correctly entered as "STRICT", but ports 3 and 4 are set as 'disabled' which is clearly wrong. I see no harm in leaving port 5 enabled as it could then be used for vlan1 traffic uses.

b. same error as on switch 1, I believe the eth1 PORT setting for VLAN HEADER should be Leave As is and not add if missing.

4. Switch 2 vlanS Tab
a. the Port 1 entry for vlan1 is missing ie the checkmark should be applied in the box.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

No schnapps at xmas for the quy/gal that was supposed to provide quality control for this document prior to release. They obviously have enough schnapps in their system. ;-P

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Re: RB260GS Software Manual Example Errors (maybe)

Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:43 pm

I also just noted in another example another potential error...............
https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/SwOS/Router-On-A-Stick

It makes no sense for the trunk port port1 in the first diagram to have its EGRESS vlan header entry as "add if missing".
It should be "leave as is"!

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Re: RB260GS Software Manual Example Errors (maybe)

Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:50 pm

bump Mikrotik admins or staff - to correct documents if necessary????