Community discussions

MikroTik App

infinitysbn
just joined
Topic Author

A couple of questions about SwOS

Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:25 pm

Hi all,
I'm testing a CRS317-1G-16S+RM, and i'm not sure if it's better to use a SwOS or RouterOS, the first problem is that
i cannot understand is about the product page of the device, the tests are split in two groups, Switching results and Ethernet test results, and the results are quite different!
Obviously I'm interested in the full capacity described by the switching part, but is this achieved only with SwOs?
Or is it possible to get the same results with the RouterOs?
Another thing that is not clear to Me is the management of the Vlan, is it possibile to manipulate a dot1q vlan and a QinQ ? For example remapping a tag to another
tag(single or double) or removing a tag or a double tag...
Every answer will be truly appreciated!

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: A couple of questions about SwOS

Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:20 pm

Switching results apply when CRS is used as a switch. Ethernet test results apply when CRS is used as a router.

I guess Switching results are same (or very similar) regardless OS used. Obviously routing is not possible when running SwOS.

infinitysbn
just joined
Topic Author

Re: A couple of questions about SwOS

Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:29 pm

Switching results apply when CRS is used as a switch. Ethernet test results apply when CRS is used as a router.

I guess Switching results are same (or very similar) regardless OS used. Obviously routing is not possible when running SwOS.
So it is possible to obtain ~10 Gb/s on a interface with RouterOS, with the switching part; this can be a good news, because the management
of the SwOs it's so limited...