Community discussions

MikroTik App

erich408
just joined
Topic Author

Problems with S+RJ10

Sat Apr 27, 2019 3:22 am

Not really sure where this goes, since there is no forum for "accessories", please feel free to move it if this is the wrong spot.

I have an ASUS XG-C100C 10G ethernet card in one of my workstations, and it's connected via ~30m of cat 6 to a CRS328-24P-4S+ in the rack in my garage via an S+RJ10 adapter. This works just fine (although it usually negotiates at 5Gbit and not 10Gbit). The problem that I have, is that when the workstation goes to sleep, and then I wake it back up, I have to go physically remove the S+RJ10 SFP+ transciever all the way, then plug it back in and plug the CAT6 cable in. It will then USUALLY reconnect just fine. If I don't do this, I get a yellow warning icon in windows showing problems with the link.

I've tried changing the port on both ends to force negotiation at 5G and even 2.5G, this makes no difference. It seems the S+RJ10 has issues with connections that aren't 100% up. My module is a 2.11 version (has the /2 at the end of the serial number). I've been unplugging and plugging the adapter in for over 2 weeks now every time i turn the machine back on and it's driving me nuts. FWIW, the CRS328 is on version 2.9 of SWOS.

Thanks!

k6ccc
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Problems with S+RJ10

Sat Apr 27, 2019 3:40 am

My first question is if the issue it with the SFP or the Ethernet per in the computer - it could be either one. Can you plug the Cat-6 into another port on the switch (such as one of the gig-E ports on the switch). Let the computer go to sleep and see if the problem happens in that configuration. Other thing to try is to just unplug the cable, wait a few seconds and plug it back in.

Sent from a $&@#% iPhone using Tapatalk

erich408
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:26 am

My first question is if the issue it with the SFP or the Ethernet per in the computer - it could be either one. Can you plug the Cat-6 into another port on the switch (such as one of the gig-E ports on the switch). Let the computer go to sleep and see if the problem happens in that configuration. Other thing to try is to just unplug the cable, wait a few seconds and plug it back in.

Sent from a $&@#% iPhone using Tapatalk
No dice. Plugging in to one of the 1Gb ports with the Asus nic has no issues with resume from sleep/suspend. It's only when going through the S+RJ10

ManMower
just joined

Sat May 04, 2019 6:40 pm

I think I'm seeing a very similar problem here.

CRS328-24P-4S+ with an S+RJ10 module connected to a mellanox connectx-3 via another S+RJ10 module.

When I turn off the PC with the mellanox card the S+RJ10 in the CRS328 stops working. In fact, even removing and reseating it will do nothing and that SFP+ port remains dead until I reboot the switch. So I'll move the S+RJ10 around a few times and then I'm forced to reboot the switch because all my SFP+ ports are "dead".

If I unplug the cat-6 between the S+RJ10 modules before turning off the PC, there is no failure.

I'm running ROS 6.44.3.

erich408
just joined
Topic Author

Tue May 07, 2019 6:05 am

I think I'm seeing a very similar problem here.

CRS328-24P-4S+ with an S+RJ10 module connected to a mellanox connectx-3 via another S+RJ10 module.

When I turn off the PC with the mellanox card the S+RJ10 in the CRS328 stops working. In fact, even removing and reseating it will do nothing and that SFP+ port remains dead until I reboot the switch. So I'll move the S+RJ10 around a few times and then I'm forced to reboot the switch because all my SFP+ ports are "dead".

If I unplug the cat-6 between the S+RJ10 modules before turning off the PC, there is no failure.

I'm running ROS 6.44.3.
I don't have to reboot my switch, but I have to sometimes unplug/replug the SFP+ adapter multiple times before it finally works. Another strange thing is that it only negotiates at 5Gbps, not 10, but that's inconsequential at the moment, since the CPU (Xeon-D 1518) in my FreeNAS box can only pump about 2.4Gbps over SMB/NFS, so im not super concerned about that. Given that these modules are ~40$ or so, and are on the APPROVED list for this switch, would be nice to get someone from Mikrotik to comment.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue May 07, 2019 12:22 pm

... Another strange thing is that it only negotiates at 5Gbps, not 10 ...
Negotiated speed highly depends on quality and length of UTP cables used to connect peripherial devices.

Error0x29A
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Wed May 08, 2019 3:29 pm

... Another strange thing is that it only negotiates at 5Gbps, not 10 ...
Negotiated speed highly depends on quality and length of UTP cables used to connect peripherial devices.
Exactly. And these adapters have maximum cable length 30 meters at 10GbE
https://i.mt.lv/cdn/rb_files/sfp_splusr ... 155011.pdf

erich408
just joined
Topic Author

Wed May 15, 2019 6:17 am

at most my cable is only ~25-30 meters, it goes from one room down a wall into a patch panel. Thats it. the 5/10Gb link doesnt bother me, it's that it doesn't work from suspend. I have to reboot my computer every time.

llag
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Wed May 15, 2019 10:25 am

at most my cable is only ~25-30 meters, it goes from one room down a wall into a patch panel. Thats it. the 5/10Gb link doesnt bother me, it's that it doesn't work from suspend. I have to reboot my computer every time.
I may have the same issue: my PC is using an Connect X3 with S+RJ10 to an S+RJ1o on the switch and had problems connecting to the CRS328 too. As could easily move the S+RJ10 on the switch side to my CRS317 I have not bothered to debug it further as that works 100% of the time. Could this be related to the link flapping that the CRS328 has too that Mikrotik has so far not managed to fix?

Krusher
just joined

Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:34 pm

I've had both this S+RJ10 (version 1) and a Cisco compatible SFP+ plugged in for a few months now, and the Wired Ethernet connection also eventually stops working on my CRS210-8G-2S+IN. If I reboot the switch it works fine again. My Ethernet is CAT6 shielded, 15' (about 3m). It will work fine a week or two and then nothing I do except reboot the CRS will make the link come back up in that SFP+1 port. I can move the cable to a gigabit port and it works again. I've tried a different NIC (both based on aQuantia multi-gig) and similar thing...the connection link is active but doesn't work. If I force the link to 10G or 5G there is no change. (10G will come up by default).

My SFP+2 port is multimode fiber going downstairs to a Netgear router, and has worked 100% ever since I had it connected. Never had even one problem with the fiber connection; that link is always on however.

My CRS is on the current firmware as of today; but firmware version never seemed to matter. I also have my CRS with a fan blowing in back so it stays nice and cool inside. Not sure what it is either when a reboot fixes the CRS every time. If someone else has a fix for this let us know.