Community discussions

MikroTik App

samPC
just joined
Topic Author

SWOS VLAN and Trunk port

Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:12 pm

Hi all.

I've been working with Mikrotik and ROS for quite a while now, but I'm new to SWOS so I'm not sure if I'm just doing something stupid here.

I’ve been struggling for a while to get the VLAN config working between my RouterOS and SWOS devices.

I would like to have it working in the following way:

Routerboard:

• Vlan 1, 10, 100 setup
• Ether1 trunk port with VLAN 1, 10, 100 on, accepting untagged traffic as well

Switch:
• Ether1 trunk port with VLAN 1, 10, 100 on, accepting untagged traffic as well
• Ether10: VLAN10, tagged traffic only
• Ether11: VLAN100, tagged traffic only
• All other ports to just act as switching ports

The config I have done to get it to work is as follows:

Router:
• Added VLAN10, ether1
• Added VLAN100, ether1

Switch:
• Under VLANS, added VLAN10, ticked ether1, ether10 on the “Members”
• Under VLANS, added VLAN100, ticked ether1, ether11 on the “Members”
• Under VLAN, set ether10 VLAN Mode to Enabled, set default VLAN ID to 10
• Under VLAN, ser ether11 VLAN More to Enabled, set default VLAN ID to 100
As I understand it this should be the only config necessary to get the config working as I want, but when I add a device on ether10 of the switch (the device is set to VLAN10), and I add an IP on the VLAN interface on the routerboard, I cannot ping or access the device connected to the switch.
I’ve tried different VLAN modes on the switch, tried to force VLAN ID, Tried VLAN Receive as any, and have had no luck getting it working.

The routerboard I tried was a CCR1036, with switch CSS 326. Routerboard was running version 6.45.5 and switch was running 2.10.

I’ve also tried similar config with a RB4011 and the same model switch, as well as a RB750 and the same switch.

Any help or pointers would be appreciated.

k6ccc
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: SWOS VLAN and Trunk port

Sat Sep 21, 2019 1:50 am

I am running very similar at home. These screen captures were done on a CSS326 for a different purpose and are a little out of date, but might give you some ideas.
Links page:

VLAN tab:

VLANs tab:

Port 3 is a trunk between this switch and another CSS326 in my data cabinet. You can see that essentially every VLAN goes over that trunk port.
More later.

samPC
just joined
Topic Author

Re: SWOS VLAN and Trunk port

Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:20 pm

I am running very similar at home. These screen captures were done on a CSS326 for a different purpose and are a little out of date, but might give you some ideas.
Links page:

VLAN tab:

VLANs tab:

Port 3 is a trunk between this switch and another CSS326 in my data cabinet. You can see that essentially every VLAN goes over that trunk port.
More later.
Thanks for the feedback.

It's a very similar setup that I'm trying to run (albeit much simpler at the moment), so I'll try to get it going with the settings as close to the ones you posted and see what happens. You've also given me an idea now to test the VLAN trunk through the switch between two RouterBoards; the only difference is that I'm trying to get a third party device using VLAN to communicate through the switch to the router.