MikroTik App

ZSam
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

RB260GS as unmanaged? (No IP address)

Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:52 pm

Hello all

Just got an RB260GS to use specifically for the PoE input function. I do not require a managed switch as I already have an MT doing all the necessary and don’t want it to take up an IP address on the network...

Is it possible to make this an unmanaged switch as if it were just a normal end user switch? i.e. plug and play.

Thanks!
ZSam

Van9018
Long time Member
Long time Member

Re: RB260GS as unmanaged? (No IP address)

Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:31 am

IP > DHCP Server, delete the dhcp server for bridge1
IP > Addresses, delete the ip address of bridge1

At this point, Ports 2-5 and wifi are considered a switch. ether1 remains the gateway. If you want to use ether1 as another port in the switch...

IP > DHCP Client, delete DHCP Client for ether1
Bridge > Ports, add ether1 to bridge1.
IP > Firewall > NAT, delete the masquerade rule

That's about it I think...
It's still a manage switch.. but you don't have to manage it. It does not have an IP. You can still connect to it using Winbox via the mac address. If this is a security concern then somewhere in the config you can disable management altogether.

dnaurecki
just joined

Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:48 am

@up: RB260GS is powered by SwOS. It does not have functionality of RouterOS and you can't connect to it by WinBox, only via web. It's just simple managed switch.
@op: Don't configure any vlan's, set IP address not withing any networks you are using and it will work just as simple unmanaged switch.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:46 pm

Concur with previous poster, from my recollection it basically comes setup as an unmanaged switch - all ports connected to all ports etc...........

k6ccc
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:24 am

Yes, out of the box, all ports will talk to each other. To keep from using an IP address, you could give it a static IP outside your IP range. But are you REALLY that short of IP addresses on your LAN?