Community discussions

MikroTik App

Seed
just joined
Topic Author

Clarifying SwOS Setup

Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:59 am

So being a new user I need some help clarifying something with swos and routeros which has broken my brain today. From what I can tell, they used to be offered as separate flashable options, but are now a toggleable option in routeros (system >> routerboard>>xxx). On top of that RouterOS can run in "bridge" mode, (default), and the other option is "router" mode. So if I understand this correctly, is my new CRS309 with updated firmware, using RouterOS in bridge mode which essentially means it's a dumb switch out of the box?

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Clarifying SwOS Setup

Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:27 pm

So if I understand this correctly, is my new CRS309 with updated firmware, using RouterOS in bridge mode which essentially means it's a dumb switch out of the box?

RouterOS is a highly versatile when it comes to configurability and functionality. There are a few pre-defined configuration profiles which can be selected in Quick Set mode. So yes, selecting Bridge mode makes your CRS more or less a dumb switch, as much as it's dumb when running SwitchOS with default configuration.

If you want to make it a tad less dumb, you can do it both in SwOS and ROS (even if you started off from Bridge mode).

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Clarifying SwOS Setup

Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:32 pm

If you have the choice stay far far away from SwOS