Community discussions

MikroTik App

rpspam11
just joined
Topic Author

RB260GSP disappearing

Sat Dec 21, 2019 5:56 am

Hello there. I just received my first Mikrotik(RB260GSP) and am in the process of setting it up. I currently have it plugged in to my laptop(ip address 192.168.88.2) and can briefly see my switch appear(via ping to 192.168.1.1) and additionally, can access the web interface for only about 30 seconds after plugging it in. This is occurring across any port that I plug my laptop in to. I have no other network interfaces(wifi or virbr) active. Finally, I can briefly see the switch in the neighbors tab of winbox but again, very briefly. Using winbox, I can see that I am running firmware version 2.7. What am I missing here that I am not able to see my switch to configure it?

Thanks!

oskarsk
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re: RB260GSP disappearing

Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:34 am

Please contact support, if you can connect to the device while its discoverable to create a supout.rif file, then please attach it.

rpspam11
just joined
Topic Author

Re: RB260GSP disappearing

Mon Dec 23, 2019 3:43 pm

Hello again. I found the answer. Since I could get 5 pings max to the switch, I had to work fast but here is what I did: I noticed that the switch was set for DHCP only on the system tab. I quickly changed it to static(left the ip address itself alone) and everything worked. I can now hit the switch with my machine. I would like to suggest that you make that default "DHCP with failback," or "Static," to avoid this in the future. Maybe it already is being used in 2.10. Either way, thank you very much.