MikroTik App

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

POE-Short Circuit

Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:35 pm

I have to 260GS switches.
One has no POE injects and thus on the main"LINK" menu page does not show any POE settings (an assumption of why it does not show up on this switch).

The second switch is using the supplied POE injector that came with a CAPAC I have.
eth1 is from main panel switch (trunk)
eth2 goes to an un-managed switch (access)
eth3 goes to my capAC (trunk) THIS HAS THE INJECTOR ATTACHED (ethernet from switch port to attachment / attachment has two other ends, one to power and the other an etherport with cable to capac).
eth4 goes to solar panel (access)
eth5 goes to PC (access)
SFP (ready with copper attachment but nothing in it)

I noticed today that there is a POE part of the LINK menu. on this switch.
Two of the ports showed red 'short circuit' and that was port 2 and 4 that go to powered devices. I disabled the POE out and that was fixed.

What I dont understand is the setting for the port 3 that goes to the CAPAC. The injector is providing power down the line to the CAPAC.
The setting on the 260gs for that port is AUTO and the state says "waiting for load"

Q1. Is this normal and if the injector is providing the power to the CAPAC why is the POE menu showing up at all on the switch, the switch is not doing anything (that I know of) ??
Q2. To clarify, the switch is not pOE capable and not putting power down any of the ports???

Q3. Would I be better off attaching the Capac injector dohickey into the SFP copper port instead of port 3?
Q4. Related is that on the POE menu the SFP port has no entries for Auto, Turn off etc.........

macsrwe
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: POE-Short Circuit

Sun Mar 01, 2020 5:26 am

I hope I understand your problem description correctly.

There is a 260GS and a 260GSP. The first has no POE out, and the second does. Although you insist that you don't have one of each, I suspect you really do, because only the second model will show a POE menu or give you POE error messages. Look at the label around the ports for a yellow outline that means POE out.

The POE menu shows up on the switch because it is POE capable, whether you are using that feature or not.

It's normal for a POE out port to show "waiting for load" if an injector is providing the outbound device power. I don't understand the short circuit error completely, but it doesn't astonish me that it could happen. If you have an external injector, it would make sense to disable the port's own POE out, which you did to fix the problem.

I suspect that if you remove the injector on port 3 and leave it set to auto, the port readings will change from "waiting for load" to "active," and the remote device will still be powered, only now by the switch.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:58 pm

Thanks mac, will have a closer look at my switches LOL.
oMFG you are right, completely forget i had purchased both types of switches..... boy do i feel stewpid LOL.

Okay so technically I can get rid of the injector and use one of the ports 2-5 of the MT device to power the CAPAC.

What would be optimal.
a. USE SFP port with injector to CapAC
OR
b. USE SFP Port to ethernet cable coming from MAIN PANEL switch and just use one of the 2-5 ports for the cap AC (no need to use injector)

a. maximizes connectivity between capac and switch
b. maximizes connectivity between switch and main panel switch.

macsrwe
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:24 pm

It just seems somehow wasteful to me to buy a switch with POE out and then not use it.

If you power the cAP from the POE-out port, you gain the advantage of being able to power-cycle it remotely if you ever have to (e.g., if it stops talking to you). Plus, it gives you a spare injector for when a wall-wart on another unit goes sour (and boy, have I seen a run on that this past year).

I use my SFP port optically for incoming traffic because it's the fastest port and doesn't need to power anything.