Community discussions

MikroTik App

mattlach
just joined
Topic Author

CRS-317 SwOS Web Config inaccessible after Upgrade to 2.11

Tue May 19, 2020 7:50 pm

Hi all,

Big networking hobbyist here, but first time MikroTik user. I recently picked up a CRS317 to serve as my rack mounted main switch.

Since I am not planning on using the Layer3 functionality of this switch, I figured I'd move better off keeping it simple and switched over from Router is to SwOS.

Initial setup went great. I configured my VLAN's got everything talking to everything it should. Because I just moved, my internet was not up yet, so I was temporarily stuck on the shipping firmware (SwOS 2.7).

My internet was activated today. One of the first things I did was to update the switch to the latest 2.11 version. Of SwOS.

The update seemingly proceeded normally. The switch came back up after rebooting, switching works normally, just as before, but now I can no longer access the web configuration page. It also does not respond to pings.

I used the reset procedure with the reset switch on the front, the LED blinked and it rebooted, but once back up again it is the same. Switching works, but the management interface cannot be accessed. I have tried both on the IP I set it to, and manually setting my laptop I am using to set things up to 192.168.88.2/24 and access it at 192.168.88.1, neither with any success.

Any suggestions on how to get this working again would be greatly appreciated!

I wouldn't be too sad if I just had to hard reset the thing to factory defaults, but I cant figure out how to do that. Would using this WinBox utility do that? I didn't use it initially as I am primarily a Linux user and preferred to set it up via Web interface, but if it could be helpful I'll try it.

Thanks,
Matt

mattlach
just joined
Topic Author

Re: CRS-317 SwOS Web Config inaccessible after Upgrade to 2.11

Wed May 20, 2020 9:06 pm

Alright.

I tried resetting a second time, this time releasing the button once the USR light started flashing and this did the trick.

Was able to connect again on 192.168.88.1, and it was back in RouterOS.

I switched it over to SwOS again, waited for it to boot, and started configuring my VLAN's again.

This time, once I was done just to make sure I hadn't inadvertently locked myself out of the management interface again, I rebooted the switch, waited for it to come back up, and I could access the management interface just fine.

Great, I thought, started plugging in my SFP+ modules.

Came back to the laptop I was using for managing the switch, still plugged in on the management port, and now I cannot raise the management interface again.

I have no idea what is going on here. Is the management interface crashing? Have I configured something wrong, that onyl takes effect after a delay?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Matt

mattlach
just joined
Topic Author

Fri May 22, 2020 2:10 am

Alright.

I solved my issue. If anyone else is having the same problem, here is what happened:

I was randomly looking through my DHCP servers lease table, and noticed my disappearing MikroTik switches in the table.

It turns out they were grabbing an IP from DHCP instead of using the static IP I had assigned.

Turns out that by default SwOS grabs an IP from DCHP and only falls back to the static IP if it can't get one from the DHCP server.

This is a bit of an odd setting I had never seen before.

You can solve this by either setting a static IP in your DHCP server, or by going into the switch page (once you have found the correct IP it pulled), going to the "System" tab, and changing the dropdown under "General" from "DHCP with Fallback" to "Static" and hitting apply.

Hope this saves someone the time spent troubleshooting I went through.

k6ccc
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri May 22, 2020 2:15 am

When you are able to get into it, on the system tab, check the status of the first two lines: Address Acquisition, and Static IP Address. As I recall, by default it will come up looking for a DHCP address. If you can't get into it, check your router to see if it assigned an address to the switch. There are three modes for Address Acquisition: Static, DHCP with fallback, and DHCP only. Static and DHCP only are obvious. DHCP with fallback means that it will attempt to get a DHCP address, but failing that, it will switch to a specified static address.