Community discussions

MikroTik App

Shukin
just joined
Topic Author

2.5 / 5 Gig Supported in SwOS?

Wed May 20, 2020 3:05 am

I am working on getting an ESXi server working with a RealTek based USB Nic. I had up to recently had my CRS305 running routerOS but switched to Switch OS today. I can't seem to get a link to show up on the switch. Now, I am not 100% certain that it worked with RouterOS, but I am wondering if there are any differences that might effect the testing?

I am using Ubnt UF-RJ45-10G transceivers which are listed as compatible with Mikrotek as well as the other 2.5 Gig and 5 Gig speeds. I do not see any errors on the switch simply no link from the ESXi server. I also tested using my Mac and I saw the link going up and down repeatedly. I also do not see the speed being reported correctly at 2.5 gig.

I am running SwOS 2.11p

Shukin
just joined
Topic Author

Re: 2.5 / 5 Gig Supported in SwOS?

Mon May 25, 2020 6:19 am

Well, I am happy to let everyone know that the NBase-T stuff works on the CRS 305 in swOS mode. The speeds and SFP types are all messed up but I can get a link to my USB 2.5 Gig nics!

Link shows up at 10 gig and not 2.5 Gig

The SPF type is a little messy - Shows as FTLX8571D3BCV-IT and thinks that its 850nm multi-mode fiber and not copper
No Temperature is showing either.

My initial problem was the GBIC. I had a Ubiquiti model that does not support 2.5 / 5 Gig. I tried a 10GigTek model and it seems to work despite the incorrect data as above

Hope that this helps someone else....

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: 2.5 / 5 Gig Supported in SwOS?

Mon May 25, 2020 9:14 am

Link shows up at 10 gig and not 2.5 Gig

Speed reported by /interface ethernet monitor for SFP/SFP+ ports is speed with which SFP module communicates with RB. Speed between SFP module and its link peer can be different and one has to get information about that via DDC link ... which can be (as you noticed yourself) misinterpreted. ROS is notorious for its mediocre support for different SFP modules and misinterpretation of DDC data is the mild form of misbehaviour.