MikroTik App

rb384997new
just joined
Topic Author

rb260G

Thu May 28, 2020 6:05 pm

Can someone help me with new switch OS cfg? I have attached a diagram:
switch cfg.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

k6ccc
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: rb260G

Fri May 29, 2020 12:36 am

That is a very simple setup. Easiest way to explain it is to show you screen captures of one of mine. Assuming that this is a new install, I would assume it is a CSS106 running version 2.something firmware.
First on the VLAN tab:
In this example, ignore the first two ports as they are "special". Port 6 (the SFP) is my trunk to another switch and will carry all the VLANs. Ports 3 and 5 are carrying untagged traffic on VLAN 131 and port 4 is carrying untagged traffic on VLAN 101.

Then on the VLANs tab:
Here, I have every VLAN that is desired on this switch. For each VLAN, you tell it which ports, and how to deal with the VLAN tags for that port. Again, ignore the first two ports as they are "special". You will see that ports 3 and 5 are "not member" of all the VLANs except VLAN 131 which is set to "Always strip" That means that the VLAN tags are stripped off the packets before the packet leaves the switch. The attached devices would not know what to do with the VLAN tags. Same thing with port 4 which is only on VLAN 101. Port 6 is the trunk and all VLANs are present and the VLAN tags are left as is - so that the switch at the other end can separate the VLANs apart.

In case you are wondering, the devices on ports 1 and 2 are WiFi Access Points that need a non-tagged LAN for network management, and will apply different VLANs to different SSIDs. Hence the reason for the different configuration. The VLAN that is set for Always Strip is the VLAN being used for network management for that A/P, and the configuration of the A/P will determine which of the VLANs (up to four) are used for which SSID on that particular A/P.

rb384997new
just joined
Topic Author

Fri May 29, 2020 3:41 pm

thanks for the detailed explanation, -- I will test this

rb384997
just joined

Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:30 pm

Works perfectly, thanks for the explanation !