Community discussions

MikroTik App

maddragon78
just joined
Topic Author

RB260GPS Trouble

Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:35 pm

Hi

I have a network with a few NVR's with the following IP's 172.16.1.1 / 172.16.2.1 / 172.16.3.1 / 172.16.4.1 and over 40 cameras.
The cameras allocated to NVR 1 - have addresses in the pool 172.16.1.2-254
The cameras allocated to NVR 2 - have addresses in the pool 172.16.2.2-254 and so for the other two.
A have an optical fiber which comes from a switch in my office and I want to connect all 4 NVR's at RB260GPS.
I have connection in the switch, but I can't see the cameras on the NVR's.
If I connect the optical fiber and NVR's to my old switch Allied Telesis, everything works fine.
I have 2 RB260GPS and both have this problem. Please help me fix it.

Thank you!

k6ccc
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: RB260GPS Trouble

Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:24 pm

A little more details on config. For starters, how are you subnetted? Is there a router involved in the equation? All on one VLAN or more than one?
That's a good start...

maddragon78
just joined
Topic Author

Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:38 pm

Hi Jim

I attached a sketch.
Thank you!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

k6ccc
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Jul 18, 2020 8:42 pm

Still not enough detail. For the moment, I am going to assume that you are trying to access the NVRs from the 192.168.0.x side of the drawing (or from the internet), and that you can successfully access the NVR, but the NVR can not see the cameras. Is that correct? Or are you directly trying to access a camera with it's 172.16.x.x address from your computer on the 192.168.0.x network?
Next part, Are the cameras running as DHCP clients or are they static? Are all the cameras, switches, and NVRs on the 172.16.x.x side of the drawing on the same LAN or are they separated by VLANs? Confirm that your note is saying that all four NVRs are operating as DHCP servers on the 172.16.x.x - each on it's own sub-net?
What switch or switches are you attempting to replace with RB260GSP switch or switches? And is it really the old RB260GSP or is the the current CSS106-1G-4P-1S (still referred to as RB260GSP except for the model number)?

maddragon78
just joined
Topic Author

Sun Jul 19, 2020 12:13 pm

Sorry I missed the two switches on the sketch.
Form the NVR's network settings, I can set if it takes the public IP address by DHCP or static, and which address to use for internal NIC.
The list of the cameras behind every NVR is manually built, and the cameras have static IP's.
Then every NVR runs DHCPD on the internal interface - there is no setting to stop this behavior. NVR's allocate IP's in the same network like their internal NIC IP.

> For the moment, I am going to assume that you are trying to access the NVRs from the 192.168.0.x side of the drawing (or from the internet), and that you can successfully access the NVR, but the NVR can not see the cameras. Is that correct?
Yes
> Or are you directly trying to access a camera with it's 172.16.x.x address from your computer on the 192.168.0.x network?
No ... this is not possible

> Next part, Are the cameras running as DHCP clients or are they static?
Static

> Are all the cameras, switches, and NVRs on the 172.16.x.x side of the drawing on the same LAN or are they separated by VLANs?
No

> Confirm that your note is saying that all four NVRs are operating as DHCP servers on the 172.16.x.x - each on it's own sub-net?
They all run DHCP on their own sub-net, but I don't use this feature... this will mix the cameras on the NVR.
It will be impossible to playback on a camera, because it will change from one NVR to another...

> What switch or switches are you attempting to replace with RB260GSP switch or switches?
Sorry I updated the sketch. They are on the both sides of the NVR's.
The NVR's are in the boss office, connected with optical fibers from the Server Room - from the switches.
This way he can check on 4 TV's what's going on, without using another PCs...

If I replace the RB260GPS (172.16.1.254) with an old switch Allied Telesis (without management), everything works fine.
Other way, the NVR's can't record the cameras...

> And is it really the old RB260GSP or is the the current CSS106-1G-4P-1S (still referred to as RB260GSP except for the model number)?
It's the new ones.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

k6ccc
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Jul 19, 2020 7:36 pm

Several of your answers were non-answers (such as asking which of two options were you using and your answer was "no"). However, I think I largely figured out what you are trying to do.

As far as I can tell, you are really only using the CSS106 on the 172.16.x.x network as a dumb switch and media converter - four electrical interfaces to the four NVRs, and an optical interface on the SFP port. In other words, a plain dumb switch, not using VLANs. Since you are good with posting screen captures, can you post the following SwitchOS setup pages: Link, SFP, Port Isolation, VLAN, & VLANs.

I am also gathering that the CSS106 on the 192.168.x.x network is doing essentially the same thing, but is working? If that is correct, compare the setting of the two switches.
BTW, a CSS106 straight out of the box with factory default configuration should work for your intended application as I recall. About the only thing that would be needed is getting the switch IP set the way you want.

> Or are you directly trying to access a camera with it's 172.16.x.x address from your computer on the 192.168.0.x network?
No ... this is not possible
I asked because you would be amazed how many people think they can do similar things. Answers to some of the dumb questions often reveal the problem.

> Confirm that your note is saying that all four NVRs are operating as DHCP servers on the 172.16.x.x - each on it's own sub-net?
They all run DHCP on their own sub-net, but I don't use this feature... this will mix the cameras on the NVR.
It will be impossible to playback on a camera, because it will change from one NVR to another...
Correct. Again, you would be amazed how many people don't understand that you only want one DHCP server on a LAN...

maddragon78
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:06 pm

I made comparing screen shots between the two switches.
The one in the left is the problem. The one in the right is working normal...

k6ccc
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:12 pm

I don't see anything that jumps out at me that would cause the problem that you are seeing. About the only config change you may want to try (although it should not matter) is to change the NVR and FO connections on the VLAN tab to VLAN Mode = Disabled and VLAN Receive = Untagged Only. May also try under Egress, change VLAN Header to Always strip. That gets your untagged ports configured exactly the way I have mine - however I am running VLANs on all of my switches, so a little different environment... As I said, that should not make any difference.

There are a couple curiosities however.

On the 172.16.x.x switch, I was expecting to see five link ports active - four electrical interfaces for the four NVRs, and the SFP for the FO link. I see a sixth port (port 1 being the oddball). I am gathering that the NVRs are plugged into ports 2 - 5 and port 1 I can't account for - or did you plug a computer into that port to make these screen captures?

On the 192.168.x.x. switch, I assume you are again using ports 2 - 5 for the NVRs. You appear to have the SFP and port 1 configured for RSTP, but port 1 is not active. What is (or was) plugged into port 1?

On both switches, I would turn off PoE Out since presumably the NVRs don't need it, and in the case of the 192.168.x.x switch, it shows as causing an error. Yes, it shouldn't matter, but I would still turn it off. That somewhat begs the question, why did you buy the more expensive PoE version of the switch since you presumably knew you would not be using the PoE capability? In my case, I have one PoE version that is powering three Ubiquiti Rocket radios, but the other CSS106 and my older RB260GS are both non-PoE.

I find it interesting that apparently the NVRs support Gig-E on the access side, but only 100M on the camera side.

BTW, I prefer to name the ports as it helps avoid confusion (more of an issue with larger switches). Here is a screen capture of the VLAN tab on one of my CSS106 switches. Remember that I am in a VLAN environment, hence the Strict VLAN mode. Ports 3 - 5 are untagged. Ports 1 & 2 need both tagged and untagged traffic, and the trunk on the SFP is tagged only.

maddragon78
just joined
Topic Author

Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:32 pm

Hi

I want to thank you for help. I tried everything you said... but it didn't work :(
Sorry because I could not try while working hours... I had to disconnect all the cams from NVR's to make this testing.
In the end I observed (from my computer, connected to 172.16 switch) I could reach the NVR's, but not the cams.
Then I disabled Auto Negotiation on the SFP link, that made the trick :D
Happy that now is solved.

All the best,
Dragos