Community discussions

MikroTik App

stakoz
just joined
Topic Author

netPower Lite 7R woes

Fri Oct 02, 2020 2:29 pm

I've bought a recently launched outdoor GPEN switch netPower Lite 7R. Technically, it identifies itself as CSS610-1Gi-7R-2S+ which, I guess, is similar to another recently launched indoor model CSS610-8G-2S+IN. I wanted indoor model but it wasn't in stock so I went with this one. Anyways, hardware-wise everything looks OK, I liked the sturdy plastic case which should be well suited for a wall mount, but the software support has a lot to be desired.

First of all, it doesn't support WinBox, only web UI. I don't mind web but the switch keeps disconnecting without a reason and, what's more important, it won't let you in after that. You need to cold reboot the switch to get into UI or wait for 5 to 15 minutes and pray it won't disconnect while you are in the middle of something. If there is all but minor network activity, the switch won't let you in as well. In terms of software stability, it looses hands down to an ancient 14 yo ProCurve 1800-8G.

Second, performance is a mixed bag, at least in my environment. In my totally unscientific tests with 2 LAGs (one for server, another one for client) plus a plain 1Gbit client link and just two iperf clients, the TX Pause count on an aggregated client link skyrocketed to a half million before I was disconnected from UI few moments later. The aggregated client was throttling a lot, barely exceeding 100BASE-T speeds (120-140 Mbps) with total throughput never exceeding 1.2 Gbps. I used same LACP 803.2ad with layer2+3 xmit hash policy settings on both aggregated hosts. Total 1.2Gbps looks like a far cry from expected 2Gbps.

The switch ships with SwOS 2.12RC2 while final 2.12 was released 3 months ago and there are still no updates neither for this nor indoor model. Is there a chance that this issues are going to be resolved with future SwOS updates? Or should I return it and buy something else? I really like Mikrotik routers and access points, never had any major issues, but this is the first time I tried Mikrotik switch and the experience was disappointing to say the least.