Community discussions

MikroTik App

paams
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Mikrotik SwOS for CRS112-8P-4S-IN

Tue Oct 06, 2020 4:59 pm

Hello there, I have just bought a new Mikrotik SwOS for CRS112-8P-4S-IN smart switch. But it comes with RouterOS and I want it to be in SwOS as per my requirement. Could anybody help me which SwOS firmware i must have to reload for this on my CRS switch? Any help on this will be appreciated a lot. Thanks.

xvo
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Mikrotik SwOS for CRS112-8P-4S-IN

Tue Oct 06, 2020 6:39 pm

CRS1XX/2XX are RoS devices, not SwOS.

paams
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Tue Oct 06, 2020 6:50 pm

CRS1XX/2XX are RoS devices, not SwOS.
Okay! Got it. But i mean to say that can't I upload SwOS instead of RoS on this routerboard? Thanks.

xvo
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Oct 06, 2020 6:55 pm

No, you can't.

paams
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:01 pm

No, you can't.
Okay! i disappointed to know this as i thought all Mikrotik smart switches come with SwOS operating system. Totally waste my money on this. Thanks.

xvo
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:13 pm

Okay! i disappointed to know this as i thought all Mikrotik smart switches come with SwOS opeating system. Totally waste my money on this. Thanks.
There are 3 families of Mikrotik switches:
- CSS: that run SwOS
- CRS1XX/2XX: that run RoS
- CRS3XX: that allow dual-boot (you can choose what os to run) - except for CRS354 for which there is no SwOS yet.

Anyway, why is that such a problem?
Everything that can be configured in SwOS can be configured in RoS as well (but not the other way around).

paams
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:30 pm

Okay! i disappointed to know this as i thought all Mikrotik smart switches come with SwOS opeating system. Totally waste my money on this. Thanks.
There are 3 families of Mikrotik switches:
- CSS: that run SwOS
- CRS1XX/2XX: that run RoS
- CRS3XX: that allow dual-boot (you can choose what os to run) - except for CRS354 for which there is no SwOS yet.

Anyway, why is that such a problem?
Everything that can be configured in SwOS can be configured in RoS as well (but not the other way around).
Thanks for keep supporting. I know RoS has more configuration features than SwOS, but some features i didn't get in RoS what i see with SwOS such as port isolation, port forwarding, port locking, port mirroring, bandwidth limit etc. Thanks.

xvo
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:42 pm

Thanks for keep supporting. I know RoS has more configuration features than SwOS, but some features i didn't get in RoS what i see with SwOS such as port isolation, port forwarding, port locking, port mirroring, bandwidth limit etc. Thanks.
All is there, in switch menu, with far more possibilities to fine-tune, than in SwOS.
CRS1XX/2XX is even more "powerful" in this field, than CRS3XX that runs RoS.
But that comes at it's own price (literally too) - but mainly it's the complexity of configuration.

Here are some example configurations:
https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:C ... s_examples
And more info:
https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:C ... s_switches

paams
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:51 pm

All is there, in switch menu, with far more possibilities to fine-tune, than in SwOS.
CRS1XX/2XX is even more "powerful" in this field, than CRS3XX that runs RoS.
But that comes at it's own price (literally too) - but mainly it's the complexity of configuration.

Here are some example configurations:
https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:C ... s_examples
And more info:
https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:C ... s_switches
Yes! I completely agreed with you. Also, thanks a lot for providing links to know more about CRS1xx series switches and its configurations. I really appreciated your assistance on this to me. Have a great time.