Community discussions

MikroTik App

networxpc
just joined
Topic Author

Number of SWOS VLANs

Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:40 am

Setting up the new CRS326-24S-2Q+RM for the first time. This is an all layer 2 environment, so we want to skip the complexity of Router OS. We started creating VLANs with VLAN100 and made it up to VLAN350 and cannot create anymore. Is there a strict 250 VLAN limit with SWOS? Any insight would be appreciated.

xvo
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Number of SWOS VLANs

Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:36 am

Yes, there is 250 VLAN limit in SwOS:
https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/SwOS/CRS3xx

networxpc
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:42 pm

Thanks XVO. We've also read the short SWOS manual refereed to in your link. Several times. It doesn't mention any limit other than 1-4095. 250 is a small number for an enterprise switch like the CRS326. The CRS326-24S-2Q+RM will be a distribution switch for a condo with 326 units. We need a total of 350 VLANs. I've never used Router OS as a switch and was struggling to figure out tagging across switches. SWOS is closer to what we're used to. Time to learn. Thanks.

xvo
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:26 pm

manual.jpg
That is from the very beginning of that page.
https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/SwOS/CRS ... s_features

Unfortunately, it looks like RoS is the only option here.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

networxpc
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:02 am

Yes...I see that now. Thank you so much for your assistance. Sometimes we're looking so hard at the fine print, we miss the big letters. I converted our distribution switch (CRS326-24S-2Q and 21 CRS328-24P access switches) over to ROS today. With the CCR2004 acting as the gateway, it appears VLAN tags pass through the switches without the need to tag any switch ports. This is an all wireless network with the AP's UN-tagging VLAN traffic. In this scenario, is there any advantage to tagging all the switch ports? Thanks again.

vecernik87
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:14 am

RouterOS by default does not filter VLANs on bridge at all and lets them flow everywhere (as if all ports had all VLANs enabled as tagged). The only advantage of tagging switch ports is, that it will allow you to create access/edge ports (ports where particular VLAN is untagged)

networxpc
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:28 am

Thanks for the quick reply. That's the conclusion we came to today. This is going into a condo with an access point in each unit, with it's own VLAN. As long as the AP's un-tag the VLANs we really don't have a need to tag switch ports. This is so much different than the Cisco switches I'm used to where if you miss a a tag on a particular switch port, nothing works. I don't think we're going back to SWOS. The 250 VLAN limit is a real pain.

xvo
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:44 pm

This is an all wireless network with the AP's UN-tagging VLAN traffic. In this scenario, is there any advantage to tagging all the switch ports? Thanks again.
If all ports need to have the same set of tagged vlans, then there is no point really.