Community discussions

MikroTik App

ashoka
just joined
Topic Author

Setup and access switch from upstream router

Mon Nov 09, 2020 10:16 pm

Hi! I have a very noob question regarding the configuration of an RB260GSP with the 2.11 firmware

I have followed the Mikrotik wiki guides and everything works fine in my network. However, I'm configuring the switch plugging a cable in one port and browsing to 192.168.88.1. I would like to access the SWOS web interface through my maintenance VLAN, but I am not sure how to do it.

My network has a router-on-a-stick design, having a trunk that communicates my pfSense firewall/router with my RB260GSP switch through 4 VLANs (10, 20, 30 and 40). My maintenance VLAN is VLAN 10, on the 10.0.10.1/24 subnet, defined in my pSense with DHCP active.

Do I have to change the IP of the switch to 10.0.10.2, for example, and setup the switch to access it via VLAN 10? If I do so, can I still access the switch plugging a cable in one port and browsing to the new IP? If someone has it configured in a similar way, could you share the details of the "System" tab?

I am very disconcerted by the fact that a VLAN 1 has been defined in the switch in some of the official guides in Mikrotik's wiki. Could somebody explain me the role of this VLAN?

Thank you very much for your help.

ashoka
just joined
Topic Author

Re: Setup and access switch from upstream router

Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:32 am

It was way easier than I though.

- Use static IP (or DHCP, it is up to you)
- Select an static IP (10.0.10.2 in my case)
- Select a VLAN ID (10 in my network)
That's it.

The only aspect I don't like, is the fact that you lose access to the switch from any port that is not routed by the specified VLAN (10 in my scenario). Because if my upstream router dies or is misconfigured, I also lose access to the switch. I guess that my next purchase will have a console port ;-)

k6ccc
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Setup and access switch from upstream router

Fri Dec 04, 2020 6:18 am

The only aspect I don't like, is the fact that you lose access to the switch from any port that is not routed by the specified VLAN (10 in my scenario). Because if my upstream router dies or is misconfigured, I also lose access to the switch. I guess that my next purchase will have a console port ;-)
That is not correct. If you have untagged port on VLAN 10, you can plug a computer into that to contact the switch.