PortalNET
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

CRS305 SFP+ connect speedtest

Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:15 pm

Hi guys

i have 2 CRS305 units which i am doing some tests,

1st test in RouterOS mode, as described plugged both CRS305 units via SFP+ 10G cable, it links on bothsides, created an IP/address to connect between each other and started the bandwidth tests..
as expected the results were the same as on the information specs details page from mikrotik bandwidth tests gave me 1250Mbps send, receive, UDP mode... with CPU on 100%

i have switched to SwitchOS mode.. but i can only have web access, and no bandwidth test module enabled..

my question is can i connect to the SwitchOS via telnet? or ssh ? and do some terminal bandwidth test? something similar to iperf? or do i need now to plug 2 computers with SFP+ 10G nics.. in order to test lab the CRS305 in switchOS mode?

both devices are now updated with switchOS v2.12

xvo
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: CRS305 SFP+ connect speedtest

Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:24 pm

What exactly do you want to test?
When testing by bandwidth test in ROS between two devices you are not really testing network performance, but rather CPU performance of the devices.
To test bandwidth properly you should test through your devices, not between them.
And you can do so for SwOS as well.

And no, you can't ssh or telnet to device running SwOS.

PortalNET
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Re: CRS305 SFP+ connect speedtest

Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:04 pm

What exactly do you want to test?
When testing by bandwidth test in ROS between two devices you are not really testing network performance, but rather CPU performance of the devices.
To test bandwidth properly you should test through your devices, not between them.
And you can do so for SwOS as well.

And no, you can't ssh or telnet to device running SwOS.
Hi xvo

thanks for your input, as i expected it can only be tested with 2 devices with 10G fiber nics on both sides to check ipferf speeds to see if it can really reach 10G speeds..

i SwitchOS i did not find any bandwidth test tool or similar, thats why i have made such question.

Thxs