Community discussions

MikroTik App

Dejan
Topic Author

MAC Address Change

Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:38 pm

Is possible in SWOS change mac address like on ROS?
I need to replace ISP modem/switch with mikrotik switch and need to clone mac address. Curently use RB4011 as switch but would like replace it with switch because need VLAN's(And as I know RB4011 use CPU for VLAN's) and is also overkill for simple VLAN switching and also do not have two 10gbit ports(For future usage)... So I have plan use CSS610-8G-2S+IN and use one SFP+ for WAN(direct FTTH) and on that port I need cloned MAC and another SFP+ to router. Other LAN ports on that switch will be used for 3x STB(IPTV), IPTV Server, VOIP(Phone) ... For test I have CRS328-24P-4S+ with SWOS(I know that it have ROS but that is not option to use it because planned switch will not have it) and can't find option to set mac address to one of sfp+ port.
Thanks for any help.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: MAC Address Change

Sat Jan 09, 2021 2:49 pm

Are you sure you need to change MAC address on a switch port? Ethernet MAC addresses come into play for higher-layer services (e.g. IP layer or PPPoE client service, cloning MAC on your RB4011 is actually such use), but such connection is passed transparently over ethernet switch / L2 bridge. So you'll probably have to clone MAC address on router and CSS can not act as router.

For example, if you simply put CSS between WAN and your RB4011, ISP would actually see RB4011's MAC address and would not be aware of CSS existence at all. Likewise ISP will see IPTV boxes' MAC addresses (all of them) when connected via switch, not the switch's MAC. Dumb switch would be fine as well for that matter.

Dejan
Topic Author

Re: MAC Address Change

Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:29 pm

Hi,
Sorry for late reply. Looks like something has been change at ISP because I know that something didn't work until I change MAC address on my RB4011 to one which had modem... Im not sure if that has been IPTV(Multicast) or VOIP ...
Right now I use CRS328-24P-4S+RM as WAN and LAN switch and seperate everything with VLANS for few days and looks like it work normaly ...
Dumb switch can't be used because VLAN management is needed on WAN...
Thanks for answer.